Listerine

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raregem

Listerine

#1 Post by raregem »

When I got Invisalign they said not to wash my sets in Listerine. Was this because it doesn't work or because it will ruin the plastic?

Now I use the invisalign bottom as a retainer and have metal braces on top. Am I allowed to rinse my mouth with Listerine and then put my Invisalign set back in or will it ruin my Invisalign? Will Listerine ruin my metal braces?

altinure

#2 Post by altinure »

i assume it probably has to do with the acidity of ethanol. since ethanol is an alkane alcohol, and since alkane alcohols contain an -OH group, it's an acid (because it's able to donate a hydrogen ion). it's one of the stronger acids of the alkane alcohols because it has such a small hydrocarbon chain. i would assume the acidity of it can ruin the plastic in your invisalign, which is the same reason i assume that you're not supposed to use listerine on your retainers either.

i'm nearly positive you can use listerine with metal braces. i always have and never had a problem. i'd also assume you could use listerine with your invisalign molds out because once you spit out the listerine, the remaining alcohol in your mouth would be too diluted to do anything to the invisalign molds once you put them back in.

i'm not expert, but these are just my guesses.

glowstix

#3 Post by glowstix »

eewwww..why would you want to use listerine?? that burns like crazy. why not just use ACT?? or even CREST mouthwash??

tictac

#4 Post by tictac »

Not all mouthwashes do the same thing. ACT is a fluoride rinse that's primarily used to prevent decay. Great for your teeth. Listerine is used primarily to prevent gum disease, doesn't do much for your teeth, but great for your gums.

raregem

#5 Post by raregem »

I use it because even the burning feels better than gingivitis which I get alot with braces.

tictac

#6 Post by tictac »

Meryaten wrote: I'm on the lookout for something that does the killing without the drying... if anyone has good suggestions...
You might want to try Biotene. It's designed for those with dry mouth so it's definitely alcohol-free. That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head that's over-the-counter.

sweet_psylence

#7 Post by sweet_psylence »

Wow, strange...

Listerine doesn't dry my mouth out at all. I love it, aside from the burning.

Lexmir

#8 Post by Lexmir »

Listerine burns and dries because it is alchohol. And the best way to make sure you and your mouth keeps hydrated is by drinking a lot of water. I think Listerine says not to drink or eat anything for an hour afterwords but after I rinse with Listerine, I let it alone for 10min then rinse my mouth with water and then continue to drink water throughout the day. Kills everything and keeps your mouth hydrated.

Mamatiger

#9 Post by Mamatiger »

There are mouthwashes at your local health food store that are alchohol free, but are antiseptic. Mine fore example has things like grapefruit seed extract, dead sea salt, zinc, calcium, witch hazel, aloe,neem, tree tea oil, clove, cinnamon, calendula. There are more, but they are for gum health, enamel repair. If you don't like tree tea oil, it doesn't taste great, but it doesn't burn, and it does leave your mouth feeling clean. There are a lot of others also.

Silverwolftec2006

Listerine

#10 Post by Silverwolftec2006 »

I find that I love the taste of the Natural Citrus Listerine. It does have some burning, but it certainly taste better than some of the others I have tried.
Since I have a horrible time with to much plaque my dentist recommended using that with Colgate Total. They have also put me on some called Fluoridex Daily Defense to help with the plaque and decalcification on my teeth before, durning and after my braces. I have to use that one in the morning and once at night. (No eating or dringking for at least 1/2 hour after using it.) :(
I will use a small bit of baking soda on the backs of my molars and front teeth to get that squeaky clean feeling. I hate the feeling of "furry" yuck in my mouth. :wink:[/url]

tofino

I have a Listerine problem.

#11 Post by tofino »

Hi.

At my last dental cleaning, where they discovered two cavities (upper laterals, lingual), I was gently scolded for using Listerine, because of its acidity. It has a low pH (3 point something). I was shown a list of mouthwashes which also showed that Listerine does not have good 'staying power' in the mouth. I was directed to use Oral B Anti-Cavity Dental Rinse, which is alcohol-free, and has a more neutral pH. Has anybody else been cautioned about this? A lot of people seem to do really well with Listerine!

Btw Altinure: I notice that Listerine is loaded with acidic compounds, including Benzoic and Citric Acids, eucalyptol, and so on. Benzoic acid, for example, in only a 0.001M Solution produces a pH of about 3.8. In any case, I'm off Listerine!!

Cheers

Glen

fins

#12 Post by fins »

ACT should be used only once a day.

Leslie022

#13 Post by Leslie022 »

I used to use Listerine religiously; however, now I only use it when I have a sore spot in my mouth. I use Colgate Phos-Flur every night to help protect against cavities and white spots.

<b>Tea Tree</b> is great stuff. I use Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo/Conditioner. My hair looks and feels so heathly! Ok, this was a little off topic but I had to mention it!
Braced: Jan. 17, 2006
Removed: Oct. 26, 2006
Fixed bottom retainer
Clear Essix Retainer on top

Flora2006

#14 Post by Flora2006 »

I use Listerine with Flouride morning and night...it kind of burns but it doesn't dry my mouth at all.

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

JumpTheDitch

#15 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I use Listerine Fluoride mouthwash. I think it's only the fluoride-type that you're not supposed to eat/drink for half an hour afterwards. I understand this is to maximise the fluoride exposure for your teeth following rinsing. I guess eating/drinking would negate the fluoride treatment. I've also read that using Listerine more than the recommended twice a day can be detrimental to your oral health. I can't remember the specifics of it, something about upsetting the natural balance in your mouth. Listerine can be pretty agressive.