a quick question...

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jay.tee.

a quick question...

#1 Post by jay.tee. »

hi docs and everyone,

ive had my braces for only two weeks and so far i haven't felt any pain...is this normal? im just worried that theyre not doing what they're supposed to do.

tnx.

dr.j

pain?

#2 Post by dr.j »

Awesome. Pain as a part of good orthodontics is a Myth that only one group of the population believes in: YOU GUYS! Not us! Light, continuous forces that do not over stress the vascular components of the bone and ligament that surround the teeth are the best. I've had folks complain of no pain as their teeth aligned beautifully -weird. you may also have a high threshold for dental pain...

Dr.J
Dr.J - Ortho

Gable74

#3 Post by Gable74 »

Thats me exactly! I have some soreness, not pain.....for about 2 hours after my appointment. After that, no pain at all, and my teeth have done a bunch of moving!!

gracie381

#4 Post by gracie381 »

I've had my braces for 2 days and I have had no pain whatsoever. I can feel the tightness, but that's all. My gums are becoming a little irrated though, but I guess that's normal. Only when I eat they feel sensitive.
TEETH IN THE BEGINNING (OCT. '05)
TEETH NOW (Oct. 28, 2007)
Braced (uppers & lowers): 2 Years
Retainer Check: 1-18-08

fearthetenor

#5 Post by fearthetenor »

Geez, I wish I was like you people. By far, the worst pain I felt (other than the expander), was when my (first) ortho told me that he would place coils over 4 of my bottom teeth to help correct overlapping. Then at the bonding, he placed brackets on them and then said "Oops! I was supposed to place coils. Oh well!" And he braced them anyway. Oh, I felt it the next day...
top braces: Jan 30, 2004
bottom braces: Apr 23, 2004
metal top & bottom

originally sentenced to 24 months
sentence extended to 36 months (minimum)!!!
tmj splint= 6 additional months (they're keeping the braces on)

dr.j

ouch

#6 Post by dr.j »

Expander on an adult? (without surgery?) That's probably in the dictionary next to the word pain.

Dr.J
Dr.J - Ortho

2oldtocare

#7 Post by 2oldtocare »

I didn't have pain with the initial braces or W-arch expander (Yes Dr J, and I'm 54!) But the power chains, now that's a different number! :cry:

johnnys_angel

#8 Post by johnnys_angel »

jay.tee., you are super lucky! With me, it wasn't really a pain, but a need to BITE down really hard, but then when I stopped biting my teeth like moved out of their sockets. gross.
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

jay.tee.

#9 Post by jay.tee. »

tnx for your replies guys! phew...ive been worried that my braces arent doin any good cuz ever since i got them, i havent felt any killer pain...and so far, ive been eating the stuff that i normally eat like any types of meat cooked in any way...but i try to be more careful.