question about the elastic around the brackets

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jay.tee.

question about the elastic around the brackets

#1 Post by jay.tee. »

hi

before i state my question, i dont know what the elastics around the brackets are called so im gonna call them elastics...okay, one of my brackets have an elastic that is not entirely around it unlike the other ones. it's like, it's just halfway around it...so my question is: is this done the right way, or did my dentist do it for a reason?

oh and btw, that bracket that im talkin about is on a tooth that is not in line with the others and im on metal braces.

sorry if my question is confusing...i find it a little bit confusing myself...this is the best i can explain it without showing any picture.

thanks in advance,

jay.tee.

caryca

#2 Post by caryca »

hi,

it's ligatures. I guess you have just started your journey?
I had this as well, at the beginning docs cannot engage all teeth for the movment, so you have to wait until a bit more space will be avalible. to have that tooth fully attached
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.

Dr. Randall

#3 Post by Dr. Randall »

Sometimes when aligning the teeth in the early phases of treatment the ligatures are not completely around the bracket. That allows for less force to move a tooth that is more significantly out of position. So there could be a reason for it, or it may have partially popped off. Either way, don't worry as nothing bad will happen before your next visit to the orthodontist.

Randall

caryca

#4 Post by caryca »

Thanks Dr Randall for explaining it in the correct way :D

looking at my teeth I though that there was not enough space....so we had to wait for it, and then all brackets will be 'fully attached'
6/4/2005: 2nd premolar extracted+ spacers in
6/13/2005: clear braces: top and bottom
next 'date' on 18th Nov. ...and the bottoms might be off then?!:-) top will stay until Dec. before xmas.