Elastics question?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paul4885

Elastics question?

#1 Post by paul4885 »

I have been wearing my braces for 2 1/2 months now and at the beginning of this month I started wearing rubberbands. They are in a triangle and connect with my first rubber band bracket hook on the top teeth( I don't know what to call it) and my first two on the bottom. My ortho said it was to stabilize my jaw. I do not wear them all the time like I am supposed to and was curious how big of an effect this may have? I probably wear them on an average of 20 hours a day.

dr.j

elastics

#2 Post by dr.j »

You should really try to follow the elastics instructions 100%. If not you may have a result that is not 100% of what you were hoping for.

Dr.J
Dr.J - Ortho

paul4885

#3 Post by paul4885 »

I also wanted to ask another question why I am at it. My teeth are pretty much straight the reason for the braces is that my jaw because of a car wreck and growth moved into that wrong spot. The real problem is when I close my mouth my teeth do not meet properly and I am left with openings. Is there anyway to move my jaw into the proper place without the braces? What are some alternatives that I might be able to mention to my orthodontist next time I see him?

dr.j

jaw

#4 Post by dr.j »

If your jaw is in the wrong location and biting improperly sometimes jaw surgery is the answer for the ideal result. Likely your doc is trying to compensate for poor jaw position with getting the teeth to come together more ideally. A camoflouge (sp?) if you will. Pound for pound any orthodontist would rather treat teeth that are crooked and jaws that are in good harmony than the opposite. Good Luck.

Raleigh, huh? What's up with Coach Amato and The Wolfpack?

Dr.J

go SC ocean!
Dr.J - Ortho

jrh37

Curious about your answer

#5 Post by jrh37 »

Dr. J,

I am curious about your answer. Like Paul, I have very straight teeth, but I am getting braces due to poor occlusion, an inconsistent bite and a possible Class 3 jaw alignment emerging. I also suffer from chronic morning headaches and TMJ. My front teeth do not touch (there is a large gap) and I have tons of pressure on my back teeth. The gap has gotten wider over the past year or so.

I was told by my dentist and ortho that it is better to get the braces now than to wait and "have to" get jaw surgery to make my teeth come together and fix my alignment and occlusion (and possible future class 3 scenario). Your response below makes it seem like braces are just masking the problem, rather than correcting it.

Are you suggesting that jaw surgery is a better and easier fix than braces?

dr.j

jaw stuff

#6 Post by dr.j »

Without access to your records its tough to say what the right answer is. Most orthodontists are very careful not to say that treatment with braces will ever cure a TMJ problem or headaches. This is counter to all the evidence in the literature. Very shaky ground if you will. If you have a jaw problem and it's corrected with tooth movement you must accept that this is a compromise and you may not feel better at all. You may feel worse. The only thing predictable about situations like yours is that they are unpredictable when the surgical option is not considered. With your symptoms I would get one if not 2 more opinions from orthodontists regarding your need or lack of need for jaw surgery.

Got any pics? Does your jaw click and pop? Muscle pain? Ever had a jaw locking episode? History of trauma? You indicated the situation is worsening over time - perhaps an MRI of the joint would reveal a arthritic process that is totally independent of your teeth. These are things to consider. If a true class 3 jaw problem is "emerging" then it will continue to emerge after braces. Are you still growing? How old are you?

Dr.J
Dr.J - Ortho

paul4885

#7 Post by paul4885 »

Thanks for the response. Things with Chuck and the wolfpack are not going to well. It is hard for me to even talk about right now considering we just lost to Wake Forest a couple of hours ago. He is on the hotseat now but he will definately get another year and hopefully can turn things around. SC pulled out a close one today.
Last edited by paul4885 on Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paul4885

#8 Post by paul4885 »

jrh, your problem sounds almost exactly like mine. I started suffering from TMJ and got a splint, my jaw moved and I was unable to touch my front teeth together. I have had my braces on now for 2 1/2 months and my top teeth go over my bottom teeth almost like they are supposed to now. Just this last week I started touching my front teeth together for the first tme in several months. I really havent noticed many changes in the TMJ stuff like headaches but my bite is still kind of off. My jaw has moved a ton though since I get my braces. I have found the best way to control the TMJ pain is to watch what you eat, eliminate caffeine, try to get good consistent sleep, and to put hot rags on the jaw muscle a couple of times a day. Hope this helps you.