Pregnancy

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kim

Pregnancy

#1 Post by Kim »

Hi!
I'm not pregnant, but I've heard stories about teeth loosening and moving during pregnancy - not necessarily making a huge difference in some, in other cases causing crowing or whatever.
My treatment is for 15 months, so I'll be long out of braces before I come to the stage of my life when I plan to become pregnant (unless something very unplanned happens before then!! haha), but I just don't want to have spent all this money correcting my smile, for it to relapse back to the way it was - I mean obviously the joy of bringing my own child in this world is more important, but getting straight teeth is something I've been concious of and wanted most of my life.

I guess my quesion after all that is, would wearing the retainer be enough to keep them from moving? Is there anything that could possibly prevent them from moving?
-Slight upper crowding
-Moderate lower crowding
-5mm overbite
-Right posterior crossbite

dr.j

pregnancy

#2 Post by dr.j »

The is no data out there to suggest that pregnancy will lead to more relapse. Pregnancy hormones can affect the periodontal structures (gums and bone) but I know of no causative effect on reapse potential mor ethan non-pregnant folks. . It should be retained the same way.

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho