Braces causing tooth wear - HELP -- Dr. J???

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

b3nault

Braces causing tooth wear - HELP -- Dr. J???

#1 Post by b3nault »

Hello-

I have braces, top and bottom teeth. Since I first had the braces put on, my two very front teeth have been hitting the brackets on my bottom two front teeth. I noticed about 1 month ago that a groove shaped like my bracket is being cut into my tooth. When I close my jaw, my two front teeth hit taking the entire blow, and not my molars (molars don’t touch yet). I am in my final 2 months of braces (supposedly), and I am wondering what I should do about this problem.

I told my orthodontist and he ground down the bracket a bit, but it still hits. I am now wearing the small 3.2 mm rubber bands on left and right (going vertivcal) to close my bite, or whatever else they do. My tooth being grooved especially hits at night and when I wake up. I am trying to double up on the rubber bands to maybe rush the process quicker, but it is not helping. I do not want to stop wearing the bands at night, cause then the process will be prolonged forever longer.

What should I do about my tooth being grooved by my bottom bracket, this is permanent damage occurring…:( Is it normal for the two front teeth to be that close too the bottom teeth brackets this late SPAM SPAM SPAMMING?

I also tried wearing a mouthguard, but the elastics are too small to do this. It seems my overbite is not being corrected as it should be maybe...

Lastly, is it me or does the front tooth on your left look like it still needs to be tilted towards the center...

Last edited by b3nault on Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

b3nault

Re: Braces causing tooth wear - HELP

#2 Post by b3nault »

To the top....

dkt3

#3 Post by dkt3 »

Can the ortho put a bit of cement on your back teeth to stop your front teeth touching the bracket? I am not sure becuase you are closing your bite but it solved the problem for me when I was biting off brackets. However, I dont have a bite problem to fix.

jenns91civic

#4 Post by jenns91civic »

I'm not sure what to tell you as far as the wear on your tooth but I will tell you this. Do NOT double up your elastics unless your ortho tells you to. One is good, two is better is not always true.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

b3nault

#5 Post by b3nault »

I went back in today to get something done about it. He ended up grinding the two ridges off the top of the two front botom brackets, which gave me more clearance. But, now my powerchain hangs over the front of my two brackets, as it no longer has anything to hook into. I guess he feels it will not hurt anything that way...

Should this be a problem Doc? It kinda feels as if the bottom teeth are getting loose and moving when they shouldnt be...