Docs: Is it normal to have visits every 2 weeks?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bluerain

Docs: Is it normal to have visits every 2 weeks?

#1 Post by Bluerain »

Hello,

Is it normal to have visits ( Adjustments ) every 2 weeks?

I see here on this board that patients have adjustments every month or more but I go every 2 weeks.

There are no problems and teeth are moving quite nicely using Implants
as anchors where the wisdom teeth use to be.

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations
Top Wired 2-1-05 / Bottom 10-9-06
Implants being used as anchor's where the wisdom teeth use to be.

hannah164

#2 Post by hannah164 »

I don't think I've ever gone as often as 2 weeks but for a while I was going every 3 weeks and still am for my impacted cuspids. If thats when your ortho wants to see you it might mean your treamtent will be shorter. :wink: Its not bad to go every 2 weeks its just not when most people go.

Good luck!

-Hannah

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05

Infamy

#3 Post by Infamy »

You have what most people do not: anchors. With anchors there are increased risk of infection and other issues. This is also, if I understand correctly, a fairly new method of treatment, so the doctor is probably not as experienced as he or she would like to be.
Formerly known as Jim

Yayme!

#4 Post by Yayme! »

Maybe your doc has a thing for you ;)

dr.j

not so

#5 Post by dr.j »

In light of Infamy's post I woul'd twll you it's fine to be seen every 2 weeks. A common answer to most posts asking if "something is normal ?" is "it's normal for you". No 2 treatments are the same.

Also, implants in no way predispose one to infection and absolutely in no way infer that your orthodontist is inexperienced and/or uncomfortable.

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho

Infamy

#6 Post by Infamy »

Also, implants in no way predispose one to infection and absolutely in no way infer that your orthodontist is inexperienced and/or uncomfortable.
Are you saying that having little metal things stuck into your gums and/or bone does not increase the risk of infection? Sure, after I awhile I'm sure the risk is very minimal, but I assumed that Bluerain was fairly new in braces.

And I certainly did not say definitively that her doctor was inexperienced.
Formerly known as Jim

Ledatru

#7 Post by Ledatru »

I usually get adjusted every 2 weeks.

Of course, sometimes they'll let me go for 3 weeks or even 1 month.

I do not mind since the adjustments take about 4 minutes and then I'm done.

With braces, it is harder to brush but I get deep cleanings at least twice a year to control the dirty.
Ledatru

Bluerain

#8 Post by Bluerain »

Thanks everyone!!

I think implants and infections are in the early stage of implants. If you get pased the early stage your chance of infection is greatly reduced.

I have them in 17 months now and never had a problem with the implants.I just had to wait 6 months for the bone to take then braces were put on. Braces on on 11 months now.

Anyway..I LOVE going every 2 weeks...they are so into my case.

Thanks to all for replying : )

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations

lpgapro

#9 Post by lpgapro »

I too have anchor implants. I got my anchor implants in the A.M. and was braced and attached the same day. I had no wait. Was in the surgeons office in the morning and was in the ortho's office that afternoon.
Depending on my ortho's schedule or mine I may see my ortho every two weeks...sometimes every three weeks. I travel many weeks of the year...so needless to say, we keep close contact with each other. I am sure if I had to wait a month to see my ortho there would be no problem. I make my appts months in advance so I know where I have to be when. My appts have nothing to do with infection, etc. I don't even know my anchors exist. I am fortunate that if something happens while I'm on the road, I call my ortho and she finds me an ortho in the city I am in to get in immediately to get the problem solved. I have a great ortho and a great team!

Bluerain

#10 Post by Bluerain »

I had wisdom teeth pulled first and had to wait 6 months for that area
to harden up then the implants were put in where the wisdom teeth use to be.

Then they attached a crown ( Tiny crown ) to each implant then placed braces so it was because of the extractions not the implant that I had to wait 6 months...Sorry about the mix up.

I don't even know I have implants...I don't feel a thing and it was a breeze inserting them.....neck hurt some because it was so far back in the mouth and being the upper jaw it was a arkward position for me and the implant doc.

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations

Charles08b

#11 Post by Charles08b »

Hi! My ortho also asks to see me every two weeks. I also wondered if that was okay when I started reading here that peeople go much less frequently, but I'm not worried. In fact, it works out nicely since my powerchains stain pretty easily and it means I can get them changed more often! I don't know if this is the way my ortho treats all his patients or if he just likes to chat :D but I don't mind the extra attention.
Char