Braces off, but... Dr. J or others?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

b3nault

Braces off, but... Dr. J or others?

#1 Post by b3nault »

Hello,

I just got my braces off and had my Essixs (sp?) retainer made for my teeth. There is a slight problem I am now having.

There is a slight gap between my two front top teeth, and even after wearing my retainer all day and night, it does not close the gap (I also have been wearing it almost 24/7 for the past few days since I got them off). It seems to me that the gap may have been there when the braces were removed and when the retainer was molded.

What are my options here? Could the ortho maybe make a new one that will close the gap, or is it too late to make another plastic Essixs retainer. Also, will closing the gap between my front teeth cause new ones to show?

Oh how I am plagued with issues. :cry:

Help!?

dr.j

#2 Post by dr.j »

I have had this happen to a few of my patients. Test: Make sure your spaces are pretty closed, then take out your retainers. Place your index finger on your upper front 2 teeth. Now chop your teeth together several times. Can you feel your upper teeth "flex" back and forth? If so, this is called fremitus. Caused by a mild interference of your upper teeth with the normal arc of closure of your jaw. You could be biting your upper front teeth apart. If so, this may mean you need your dentist to close the space by adding tooth structure i.e. bonding.

If not, you may just need to have a permanent lingual wire retainer placed. Good luck.

Just know that continuing to wear your Essix retainers religioulsy may not be the answer if your problem is as bad as you say it is. Eventually most patients should be able to be weened to night wear. Sounds like you will not be able to from where you stand.

:wink:
Dr.J - Ortho

b3nault

#3 Post by b3nault »

Hello-

It feels as if they may be flexing when I bite, but its hard to tell. What I do not understand is that my top two teeth were crowded and inward before I got braces, and now they want to separate?

Another question: Could doubling up on these two rubber bands when instructed to only wear one cause the two front teeth to separate? Because there is not a gap there in this pic (I started doubling up after this was taken) If the retainer was going to close the space, it would have done it by now right?

Because I believe the gap was there when the braces were removed and when the retainer was made, so the Essix retainer is now just holding them there with a gap.

I look forward to your reply.
Last edited by b3nault on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b3nault

#4 Post by b3nault »

opps, double post.