crown came off with band

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

becky1

crown came off with band

#1 Post by becky1 »

About 1 week ago I thought my band fell off my crown so I went to my ortho to only finf out that my crown had came off and I needed to go to my dentist. Well my dentist permanetly cements my crown back on but as of today it feels like it is going to come off again. My question is what can I do about this? And is it possible to put a permanent crown on with braces they need to make a mold first is it possible? Anybody with advice would be helpful.....

JeepGirl

#2 Post by JeepGirl »

Becky,

My crown came off this past Monday when my ortho assistant was trying to band my crown. This was because originally my dentist only put some sort of temporary cement due to some issues I was having with the crown. The issues went away but I never in four years had it permanently set. SO needless to say, when the assistant was fitting the bands, it just came right off! :oops:

Luckily the ortho assistant went next door to the dentist office and they let her use some of their temp cement. She set it for me until I was able to go to my dentist. I went to my dentist yesterday and they finally used permanent cement for my crown. Now I don't have to worry about it coming off! I am scheduled to get my molar band again in six weeks when I go back for my next adjustment. I was assured that this would not hold up my treatment.

As for your concern:
Well my dentist permanetly cements my crown back on but as of today it feels like it is going to come off again. My question is what can I do about this?
I would call my dentist immediately and have it looked at.
And is it possible to put a permanent crown on with braces they need to make a mold first is it possible? Anybody with advice would be helpful....
I know that the ortho makes a mold of your teeth before treatment. Your dentist made a mold when you had the crown as well. I think you will be fine.

Good luck with your crown and your treatment! Hopefully one of the Doctors here can give you advice on this problem. :wink:

jaye

#3 Post by jaye »

hi becky,
if your crown is coming loose again it may need to be replaced... often they can simply be recemented however if it becomes loose shortly after it is likely to be a problem with the crown.
if you do need your crown replaced there are different techniques. i work for a dentist and we have a computer program that scans the prepared tooth and then displays it in a 3D image on the computer screen so that the dentist can design the crown on the computer and then a machine will drill the crown from a ceramic block. this technique eliminates the need for taking molds. we call it "cerec". i have had 1 done while in braces because a filling was breaking down...
just some info for u incase ur crown is failing!!

:)