Including 2nd Molars in my treatment

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

muffsmom

Including 2nd Molars in my treatment

#1 Post by muffsmom »

Hi Dr. Randall,
Before my ortho treatment, I had 8 extractions. On my left side, I had upper and lower 2nd & 3rd molars removed. On my right, just my upper & lower 3rd molars. I also had 2 extra small teeth that were impacted on my uppers (weird) and they were removed--but that's beside the point. Here's my point. At yesterday's teeth cleaning appoint, the hygienist pointed out that on my right side, my 2nd molars were not banded. Only my 1st molars were. I've known this of course, but totally forgot to discuss it with my ortho. Her (hygienist) thoughts were perhaps the ortho would include them in my treatment sooner or later, or perhaps not. And she suggested that I ask, which I will on this Thursday. I was just wondering about your thoughts on this. To give you a mental pic of these 2nd molars, the upper one is way up top, out of line with my upper teeth. The lower one is in line (pretty closely) with the lower teeth. But the two do not meet at all. I want them to be included in my treatment. I've been braced since (well you can see my signature for that info) and wanted to know if it's still possible to include them. I wonder why they weren't banded at the beginning.
8 Extractions 11/1/04
Top clear CLARITY brackets 11/18/04
Metal bottoms 5/5/05
24-30 month sentence

Dr. Randall

#2 Post by Dr. Randall »

They should be included if the do not line up. I don't usually put the second molar bands on at the beginning of treatment but more like the second half. You should definitely ask your orthodontist what their plans are for those teeth.

Randall

muffsmom

#3 Post by muffsmom »

Thanks Dr. Randall,
I saw her today and like yourself, she plans to include then in the 2nd half of my treatment. What a relief! Thanks for replying :D
8 Extractions 11/1/04
Top clear CLARITY brackets 11/18/04
Metal bottoms 5/5/05
24-30 month sentence

Dr. Randall

#4 Post by Dr. Randall »

It can depend on how far the teeth are out of alignment. Usually they just need a bit of tweeking to move to the correct spot. Then I wait until the last 4-6 months. If they are really out of position, then they get banded earlier, like in the first few months.

Randall

nvcarissa

#5 Post by nvcarissa »

My second molars will also go armoured next month after sitting at the back of my mouth, smirking at their braced brethren these past months
Me too. Mine didn't get bracketed until last week...three months into treatment.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

kirst1583

#6 Post by kirst1583 »

Dr. Randall wrote:It can depend on how far the teeth are out of alignment. Usually they just need a bit of tweeking to move to the correct spot. Then I wait until the last 4-6 months. If they are really out of position, then they get banded earlier, like in the first few months.

Randall
Sorry to bring up an old post... but this is exactly the topic i was looking for.

I was just wondering if there are times when the upper left 2nd molars (hope I got the names right ... I just checked my tooth glossary. lol) are never banded?
I've had my braces 2 and 1/2 years and they are yet to be put on...

Thanks heaps

Kirst :wink:

Dr. Randall

#7 Post by Dr. Randall »

Sometimes it isn't essential that they are banded. If they line up correctly then there may not be a reason to band them.

Randall

kirst1583

#8 Post by kirst1583 »

Ok excellent.
Thanks heaps for the reply - greatly appreciated :wink: