Very upset patient

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Very upset patient

#1 Post by 316 »

I got braces to help make room for my 12 year molar...yes I'm 22...anyway, it has been 2 years since they were put on, the tooth is now in, my teeth are nice and straight, buy my ortho refuses to take them off. Needless to say I am rather upset by him. I talked to my husband about it, he thinks it is a form of malpractice...they are my teeth, why can't I get them taken off!!!

Cissa

#2 Post by Cissa »

Have you talked with your ortho? Maybe there are problems that need to be addressed and you don't realize it. I'm sure the ortho is leaving them on for a reason.

#3 Post by 316 »

Well...not really...I was so upset that he said no, I didn't even think about asking why. But like I said, they are MY teeth. An orthodontist is just like a dr. in the sense that patients can decline treatment. I have even considered going to a different ortho. This isn't the first time he has upset me, he has always been rather rude.

Attagirl2

#4 Post by Attagirl2 »

Hi 316. Sorry to hear your not happy with your orthodontist. I am not a doctor, just another patient going through the process. I do know that while our teeth may look and be "straight", the roots may not be in the correct alignment to have the braces taken off. Should they be taken off before the roots are moved, the teeth will shift to line up with the position of the roots. That would defeat the purpose of having braces in the first place. If I am wrong, doctors, please correct me.

I hope you will speak with your orthodontist, because I am sure he is not out to get you. The longer you stay in braces, the more money it costs him. To my way of thinking, he is trying to give you the best possible outcome. Good luck to you.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

altinure

#5 Post by altinure »

well i'm sure you could demand to have them off, but your teeth will most likely look awful pretty quickly.

Metal Mouth Guy

Message Deleted Because of KK

#6 Post by Metal Mouth Guy »

Message Deleted Because of KK
Last edited by Metal Mouth Guy on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eleni

Re: Very upset patient

#7 Post by Eleni »

316 wrote:I got braces to help make room for my 12 year molar...yes I'm 22...anyway, it has been 2 years since they were put on, the tooth is now in, my teeth are nice and straight, buy my ortho refuses to take them off. Needless to say I am rather upset by him. I talked to my husband about it, he thinks it is a form of malpractice...they are my teeth, why can't I get them taken off!!!
You have the right to rant, but 316, take a step back a moment. Why was it so easy to discuss this with your husband but not with your ortho? Granted you didn't like the answer because you expected a yes. Rather than walk away in a huff, could you have taken a breath, looked him straight in the eye and asked him a simple "Why?". You need to remember that there is a huge difference between being rude and being professionally incompetent.

Consider the following:
* Would it not be malpractice if he removed the braces before they were ready to come off in his professional opinion?

* And why is this malpractice? Are you paying more because the braces are staying on longer? Or is it you that can not psychologically handle wearing them a bit longer?

No one is questioning if they are your teeth. Da, they are. We are questioning your approach to resolving this instance of disagreement. You signed a contract, have paid this man quite a lot of money for a desired result. If you have a difference of opinion as to what that desired result is, then you need to COMMUNICATE it.

/small hijack
As an aside, it is a major pet peeve of mine that people throw the malpractice word around way too easily. Don't get me wrong, I had a family member die from medical negligence. I just question what has happened to communication these days, from both sides, doctors and patients. May make a good separate tread.
Top Ceramic Braces: July 2004 - Self-Eruption of an Impacted Upper Right Canine
Bottom Metal Braces: December 2005 - Crowding
Debanded: December 2006
The story

Dr. Randall

#8 Post by Dr. Randall »

Communication is very important. Tell your orthodontist what you want and why. THere is probably a pretty good reason why he wants to continue with treatment, listen to him about that. I have patients who say that since their teeth are straight they want the braces off, and then I tell them what I have left to complete. I give them the information that they need to make an informed decision. Sometimes they complete the treatment, occasionally the decline further treatment. If they do, I have them sign a release stating that they requested the braces be removed even though it was against my advice, then I take them off.

To be perfectly honest, it really irritates me when patients bail out before the treatment is done. For one reason, the result reflects on me whether or not people know that treatment ended at patient request, and two, invariably people will come in and complain about something later that would have been corrected had the just finished the treatment. And when it comes to the fee, usually I consider it a complete treatment which requires that the full fee be paid. I don't tend to offer a refund of any sort in these cases.

Hope that helps and gives you the perspective from the other side. Most likely you have a good orthdontist who feels disappointed by your choice.

Randall

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

I agree that you need to talk to you ortho and ask why the braces need to stay on, and for how much longer. As others have stated, sometimes the teeth LOOK done but in fact there are things going on underneath the gums that still are being corrected. Or perhaps there are bite alignment issues that you are not aware of.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jenns91civic

#10 Post by jenns91civic »

Don't get your braces off before your ortho says you're done. You will regret it. Take it from someone who got theirs off early...

I had someone today tell me my teeth look great (he used the word "perfect"). While I was incredibly flattered, my teeth are NOT perfect. I still have overjet on the left and I'd be happier if my top front 4 teeth were aligned a little differently. Yes they are straight and yes I like the way they look but everyday I regret not just biting the bullet and finishing.

You need to ask your ortho what else he is planning on correcting. Malpractice doesn't even come close to applying to this situation.
Paramedic student

Full Braces (all metal) 5/12/1999 - 4/20/2005
Class II (overjet) on the left only
Upper and Lower Hawleys

NotBob1

#11 Post by NotBob1 »

I would definately talk to him. Unlikely he is doing this to harm you in some way.

I am doing this for a second time. My thought is than when my ortho wants to take them off I will likely question whether they should stay on for a few more months just to make sure they are set. I do not wish a third go around.

Make a call, get an appointment to talk, bring your questions on paper. All will be fine and likely he'll have more respect for you for asking!
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

weird_wired

#12 Post by weird_wired »

Well...not really...I was so upset that he said no, I didn't even think about asking why. But like I said, they are MY teeth. An orthodontist is just like a dr. in the sense that patients can decline treatment.

Your attitude kind of dazzles me in its bizarreness.

Common sense should tell you that there is zero point posting here if you never even managed to ask your ortho for his reasons why.

Of course you can have the brace off, if you insist. They are indeed your teeth. But as you point out: the orthodontist is the trained medical practitioner and almost certainly knows best.

I would absolutely hate to be your orthodontist. That you and your husband can complain about "malpractice" when you are as ignorant as you admit just beggars belief.

missing_tooth

#13 Post by missing_tooth »

Think of it this way, your otho is a professional. Professionals most always know exactly what they are doing. They know far more than you or I. Professionals also often have to simplify things and put them in laymens terms for those of us not in their field.

Just talk to him, or the assitant at your next visit and tell them how you feel and ask them to have the doctor explain to you why you need to continue treatment.

I will say I know one person who had braces for a year. He told me after 4 or 5 months his teeth looked perfectly strait. But he kept them on for the full year. He said he had no idea what was going on the last 7 months. He just suspects they had to "fine tune" everything.

Just ask, and relax. Often times a certain amout of trust is needed.

- Missing Tooth -

#14 Post by 316 »

ok guys...i went to my ortho...asked why i couldn't have them off...he said it's not the fact that they aren't straight, it's because they are not lining up perfect. my top 2 teeth are not 'in line' with my bottom 2 teeth. i told him i really didn't care that they weren't perfect and that i was just plain sick of having them on, yet he is still refusing to take them off. going as far as to tell me that i would have to go somewhere else if i wanted them off that bad.

NotBob1

#15 Post by NotBob1 »

OK. This, is not a good thing. This is also highly irregular I would think.
Do you have an insurance company paying for this?
If not, Is everything paid in full? or do you still owe money on this?

So he actually said he would not remove your braces even at your
demanding? I can plainly see the Orthodontist wanting to talk you out of it, maybe telling you that he has no avaiability for debanding for a couple of weeks, but to just say "No. Go elsewhere" ?? Wow.

Are you -absolutely- not willing to follow through with your treatment?

How about making an appointment with another Orthodontist to consult? Yes, you would have to pay for the consult, but likely not alot. I think this is what I would do if I absolutely wanted my braces off for some reason or another prior to the completion of treatment and my ortho refused to remove them.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.