Alternatives To Braces

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jambo

Alternatives To Braces

#1 Post by Jambo »

Hi there,

I hope you can help. I am 24 and whilst I was in school I was about to get a brace. After a horrible experience getting mouldings done, I ended up changing my mind and didn't go ahead. At the time I really wasn't bothered at all and don't really regret the decision. However I am now fairly conscious about my crooked teeth and would like to consider doing something about it.

I would like to avoid a brace if possible and if it is the only option I will likely not bother. In addition to my bad experience I generally have a kind of phobia of having things in my mouth and the thought of a fixed brace is horrible for me. I have also had some serious eating problems and can not afford to lose any weight if the brace causes eating restrictions. On top of all that I have the usual reservations of being image conscious at 24.

I am wondering what the alternatives are. Are veneers a viable alternative for crooked teeth? Are the use of veneers restricted by the severity of the correction? Likewise I may consider Invisalign but again would this more restricted to minor corrections?

I would appreciate any words of advice or alternative ideas?

Many thanks for your time.

IndyBraceFace

#2 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I think this is definitely something to discuss with an orthodontist. Veneers seem like a really drastic step.

Jambo

#3 Post by Jambo »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen a few people opposed to veneers but I don't really understand why?

Why do you think it is drastic?

Thanks again.

weird_wired

#4 Post by weird_wired »

It's drastic because it permanently removes part of the healthy surface of your teeth to stick fake bits of porcelaine on. It's a totally fine treatment if you NEED it, but it is not in anyway a proper alternative to braces. And it is horrfically expensive compared to getting your teeth properly straightened.

Veneers won't fix the underlying problems of why your teeth are crooked. They won't fix crowding, rotation and bite issues. It will just give you a (literal) veneer of greater evenness.

You may be fortunate enough that Invisalign is an option. Or even some kind of removable retainer.

But for most of us, the best and only way is a fixed brace. It really isn't that bad. And once you actually see the changes it makes (the first of which can happen within weeks if you are lucky, certainly within a couple of months) it really all becomes worthwhile.

altinure

#5 Post by altinure »

Another thing with veneers, you have to get them replaced every ten to sixteen years.

weird_wired

#6 Post by weird_wired »

altinure wrote:Another thing with veneers, you have to get them replaced every ten to sixteen years.
I never even knew that - why, by the way? Do they erode/crack or something?

Jambo

#7 Post by Jambo »

Thanks.

I am going to look into Invisalign first and find out if this can help.

Jambo

#8 Post by Jambo »

Thanks Meryaten.

I have found an orthodontist who offers Invisalign quite near me so I will make an appointment here and see what they say.

I am so averse to traditional braces that I don't mind wasting money on trying as long as there is a chance of it working.