Loose Wire--OK Fix?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chinadoll

Loose Wire--OK Fix?

#1 Post by chinadoll »

A wire came loose from my lower left back molar when I was chewing soft ravioli at lunch. My husband fixed the wire with a set of pliers (we couldn't find the tweezers)!! He just slid it inside that little hole that is attached to the side of the bracket (the 'cleat', perhaps?) It fit perfectly and hasn't moved since.

My question is this: when the wire attaches to the back molar bracket, does it just sit inside that little hole (cleat?), or is it supposed to be tightly anchored somehow? I'm trying to figure out if I should go in to have the ortho look at it, before my next appointment on the 18th. I don't want to stop my teeth from moving in the correct way. Does anyone know if the wire just sits in that hole, or if it has to be specially tightened?

My ortho's office is closed for a couple days because of a holiday, which is why I'm posting here instead of calling them to ask...

Thanks everyone!!
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal

chinadoll

Thanks

#2 Post by chinadoll »

Thanks KK, it sounds like my setup is the same as yours and that there's no real cause for concern... :-#)

Lysachick

#3 Post by Lysachick »

Mine seem to do it all the time which is really annoying. The molar in front of the one that holds the wire is missing which means that as soon as food gets into the space, one little flick and the wire has come out. Since it's on the inside it's easy enough to fix though it feels strange having to bend the wire so far back just to get it back in. It's much harder with linguals though since you can't really see it as well. Usually other people can help but it's weird having your friends or family poking around inside your mouth!

chinadoll

Ortho's Reply

#4 Post by chinadoll »

Hi folks,

I don't know if this helps shed some light for your situations, but my ortho replied to my query as follows:

Initially, the wire is supposed to be flexible and sit in the hole passively after initial placement of the brackets. Once we place the brackets on the first molars together with the ligature tie backs , that is the only time we can firmly secure that wire. Please do not worry about the progress of your teeth. As long as the brackets do not pop out, the wire is doing its job for us. Once the appliance is complete this month, you will no longer have that problem of wires flying off their slot.

chinadoll

Ortho's Reply

#5 Post by chinadoll »

Hi folks,

I don't know if this helps shed some light for your situations, but my ortho replied to my query as follows:

Initially, the wire is supposed to be flexible and sit in the hole passively after initial placement of the brackets. Once we place the brackets on the first molars together with the ligature tie backs , that is the only time we can firmly secure that wire. Please do not worry about the progress of your teeth. As long as the brackets do not pop out, the wire is doing its job for us. Once the appliance is complete this month, you will no longer have that problem of wires flying off their slot.