Face shape

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

blususan

Face shape

#1 Post by blususan »

I am almost 57 and got braces on my lower teeth in Oct. I received upper retainers in Dec. It seems that all of a sudden, under my chin is sagging. It is much, much more obvious than ever before and the shape of my face, especially from a profile is quite unattrative. With retainers in, it feels like my tongue is in a different spot (as I would imagine it is) and wonder if this is affecting my muscles in that area. Is this permanent? Thanks so much.
Susan

MCC

#2 Post by MCC »

I can totally relate. My tongue feels like it has less room than before. My bottom teeth also seem like they have been pushed back more. I have braces on my top and bottom teeth. My face has also changed dramatically as well. Not sure if it's permanent. I hope not.

blususan

#3 Post by blususan »

Thanks for getting back to me. I was going to reply to my own query. I JUST found out that I have myxedema caused by severe hypothyroidism. I came on more quickly than the doctor thought possible. It is so severe that he called from home to get on meds once he saw lab work. I was thinking last week that I was allergic to the denture cleaner and that was causing the swelling and went on prednisone. I hope that this may help someone out there if they run into anything like this. Once my system starts to heal, I will put retainers back in but am having trouble enough breathing due to swelling without any further aggrivation.
Susan