Why a second set of molar bands?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Why a second set of molar bands?

#1 Post by genxsis »

Dear Orthodontist:

I went through the unpleasant experience of getting my molar bands and putting up with the adaptation period of having them, and then needing to have the sharp edges ground off so I could eat solid food again without biting on my cheek with every chew. I was glad to get that over with!

Now I got braced just 2 days ago, and I just asked the assistant out of curiosity during the procedure why molar bands are put on the molars that are 2nd to the rear-most ones, and how the back ones will get moved, and she told me that I'll be getting molar bands on them too and they'll set up an appointment for me for next week to have those put on.

I am really disappointed about this! It was so hard the first time! Aren't molar bands intended to anchor the archwire to the 2 sides of the mouth? Why have 2 molar bands right next to each other? Can I just say I don't want them?

Brandyleigh35

#2 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

I'm wondering about this also. I went in today and got spacers for bands to anchor my RPE appliance on the second molars. I asked about the bottom and they told me they only use brackets and from the way it looks the only ones I will be having are these two, only until the appliance comes out in 4 months. Why do some people have to have bands and others not?

I do know that I"m getting self-ligating braces, does that make a difference???

Brandy

Brandyleigh35

#3 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

That is another thing I'm wondering about. One side of my lower molars is a huge bridge. It is anchored to my first molar, then has the two fake teeth (bridge) in between and then is anchored to the one in front. My ortho says they are going to try and move my teeth without disturbing the bridge using brackets. He did say, however, that if it doesn't work they will have to cut through the bridge, band my molar, and I wil have to have the bridge redone/replaced when we are all finished.

My other side is fine, no dental work on it so I guess we wil see what they can do! :)

Brandy

dr.j

#4 Post by dr.j »

The fact that the ortho wants to treat your second molars is a very good soghn of a good/caring doctor. I would not recommend asking them to just leave them off. Leveling of the second molars is critical to good treatment on most cases.
Dr.J - Ortho

genxsis

#5 Post by genxsis »

Dr. j,

I assume you were answering my post. I'll let him put on a second set of 4 molar bands in addition to the present 4, but I have a feeling these are really going to hurt going on. There's just no room for them that I can see and I'm afraid they are going to require alot of force, and that means alot of pain for me! :cry:

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#6 Post by nahky »

genxsis wrote:Dr. j,

I assume you were answering my post. I'll let him put on a second set of 4 molar bands in addition to the present 4, but I have a feeling these are really going to hurt going on. There's just no room for them that I can see and I'm afraid they are going to require alot of force, and that means alot of pain for me! :cry:
Genxsis, i experienced this not too long ago. I wrote about my experience in my story, heres the extract i copied.
nahky wrote:Oh My Freaking God! The pain! The agony! *tears almost coming out*

(sorry i had to use a whole heap of exclaimation marks here, to emphasise my actual tone)

yesterday i had my last bands put in. 2 of the 4 spacers fell out 4 days before the banding. The top two. I tried rescehduling for a appointing to get them replaced so that it wont be so tight when he put the bands on. The girl on the line said it doesnt matter and there should be enough room. WRONG! Stupid girl! The banding was pure torture! The ortho pushed shove shove shove like hammered the bloody bands on the top. It took him awhile to find the right size after hammering my molars. I closed my eyes to keep my mind off the pain. It was really painful (i said nohting because there is nothing but to sit and there and bare the pain)
It took more than 30mins to get 4 bands in. After he had finsihed, my head was spinning. My body was probbaly in shock (yes, he really hammered my mouth) i was suprised i wasnt bleeding after he dug into my gums. It reminded me of the day i got braced, but worse, much much much worse.

Now the braces go all the way in, every tooth. Its hitting my gums badly. Im avoiding wax so i can toughen my cheeks up.
As i type, im eating a big mac, the pain is unbearable, but im a food lover and i ahve to eat. Tears are almost seeping out of my sockets as i chew. It truly does feel like i have been braced all over again because everything is sore (im not used to pain, ive been painfree for months)

and the lesson for me today?
*keep those spacers in!
*Eating soup!
*Its all worth it! :roll: :roll:
*Be prepared for pain! ( i was one of those people who were like "i have no pain at all")
hope that helps. :?
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

genxsis

#7 Post by genxsis »

Nahky:

Gee, thanks Nahky! Now I really can't wait until my next appointment! I already can't eat because of the pain and misaligned teeth and brackets. :wink:

I've already come to the conclusion that this is not worth it. I mean, having straight teeth is nice, but not necessary. Being able to eat food, being able to sleep at night without getting woke up from pain because I accidently clenched my teeth together in my sleep, and being able to speak in a way that people can actually understand what I'm saying rather than lisping all the time--these things are necessary.

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#8 Post by nahky »

genxsis wrote:Nahky:

Gee, thanks Nahky! Now I really can't wait until my next appointment! I already can't eat because of the pain and misaligned teeth and brackets. :wink:

I've already come to the conclusion that this is not worth it. I mean, having straight teeth is nice, but not necessary. Being able to eat food, being able to sleep at night without getting woke up from pain because I accidently clenched my teeth together in my sleep, and being able to speak in a way that people can actually understand what I'm saying rather than lisping all the time--these things are necessary.
Don't get me wrong, there was definately pain for me on that occasion. But it truly is worth it. Things will eventually get better. Not long after my bands went in, things settled down and i could eat whatever i liked and had no pain at all.

Two weeks after my bands went in, my last four molars lined up with my other teeth, leaving everything dead straight.

Just remember to keep those spacers/seperators in. If i had kept them on, things ould have been much more smoother when the bands were being put in.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

genxsis

#9 Post by genxsis »

Nahky:

My molar bands went in rather easily when the first ones were put on. I thought I had evaded the pain everyone else said it would be. It's depressing to think about how bad it will be when they put these other ones in.

You said "the banding was pure torture". I can imagine that it will be for me too. I felt back there with my finger, and there is really no room for another molar band. It's just gum! How on earth are they going to press that razor sharp metal into my gum and expect me to just lay there and take it?

genxsis

#10 Post by genxsis »

Ok, I'll try to be calm. But the horror stories I've been hearing....

And it just makes me a little upset also that my ortho told me that all I would need is spacers, then molar bands, then braces followed by adjustments every 2 months. I figured I could live with that. Now that the braces are on, it's like, "OK, now let's put on MORE molar bands." I can't help but think, "What else"?

I'll be sure to tell you how it goes. Tomorrow is the appointment.

lilleth

#11 Post by lilleth »

I only have 2 molar bands, on the 1st molars on the bottom. on the second molars they used brackets.

fins

#12 Post by fins »

I had a difficult time with banding but I also had them done several times (long story!). Your ortho probably wants to line up ALL your teeth and once the molars are attached to the archwire they will move right into place (hopefully). Those spacers will really create room for the bands. I wore my spacers for several weeks but they do work so try not to worry too much. I've never had any real trouble with bands cutting my mouth or anything so I am lucky in that regard. Hang in there, once you get past the banding you can relax a bit, I know that was a very stressful time for me. Good luck.

strugglebuggy

#13 Post by strugglebuggy »

I only have one set of molar bands... on my second molars. Am I to assume that I will have another set put on the back one in order to position things, or do they let those be?

afrederick

#14 Post by afrederick »

I have bands on my first and second molars on top and it was uncomfortable but my ortho had a bite stick and had me bite down to put them on. MUCH MUCH better than him trying to fit them himself. It may be a good idea to ask about the bite stick.
Pain is inevitable; misery is optional.

Geri

#15 Post by Geri »

I have bands on my first and second molars (top and bottom). I am happy that Dr J says this is a sign of a good and caring Doctor...that confirms my opinion of my ortho.

I had the second set of bands put on a month after my uppers went on, with an additional 8 spacers to make room. Yes, it was a bit painful having another round of spacers and getting them fitted but afterwards they were fine...no rubbing, no pain at all. Stick with it and you'll see that it gets easier very quickly. Good luck.
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!