Midlines and wisdom teeth. Opinion.. docs?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jwilson3644

Midlines and wisdom teeth. Opinion.. docs?

#1 Post by jwilson3644 »

Hello-

I went to the ortho on Monday and I asked if I could have my braces off in March. They said it's certainly possible and gave me a new configuation of elastics to wear and told me to come back in 2 weeks.

I am happy with my teeth but I do notice that my midline is off. It doesn't really bother me at all, but I am wondering why it would not be a concearn to the ortho's in the office that treat me?

Any reason why that might be?

Also I have all 4 wisdom teeth in place, but none of them line up with my arches anymore. WHich doesn't bother me either because they are sooo far back there. Should my ortho be concearned about that?

I appreciate any feed back.

cteri

#2 Post by cteri »

Hi,

Just to share my opinion based on my experience....

How off is your midline? If it's just a bit, but doesn't affect overall look of teeth it's considered ok since 100 perfection is so hard to get. Is it the kind of thing only you would notice looking close in a mirror or is it quite obvious?

About the molars, this was brought up many times on the site already and some doctors replied, try a search engine on the site and I'm sure you'll find your answer!

Happy debonding - I got my tops off yesterday and it's quite a nice feeling!
CT

jwilson3644

#3 Post by jwilson3644 »

Hi Cter-

I don't really know how off it is by mm but I can tell you that the midline of my 2 front top teeth are pretty close to being direcly in the middle of my bottom tooth. Does that make sense because I am not to up to speed on the orhto lingo?

I did a search on the wisdom teeth not lining up with the arches but I for some reason I could not find anything but I iwll check again.

Thanks for for the responce. Glad to hear that your bracket free on the top!

cteri

#4 Post by cteri »

Hi again,

The person who wrote about molars in the back is called 'nml55' - last I saw it it was on pg. 4 of the forum - that should help you find it (there are some good pics). good luck!

If it's as you say, your midline does sound off - of course I'm not a doctor so why don't you ask your doc what the deal is? Mine was a tad off (i'm obsessed so noticed it but noone else would have I think) and he had me wear elastics for a month which helped.

ct

dr.j

#5 Post by dr.j »

If your teeth are straight and your bite is good, a small midline discrepancy is not a big deal. It would imply some sort of asymmetry in tooth size somewhere. Occasionally this means the bite is slightly off on one side. In many adults, complete,permanent resolution of a midline discrepancy is unrealistic. Folks want every thing ideal or even - dare I say it - perfect, but I find a small midline discrepancy to be OK. The act of trying to correct midlines usually refers to wearing asymmtric elastics and the task is tough - or even extractions . As far as poor fitting 3rd molars, I would suggest you posisbly consider having them extracted if they bother you or are at the least bit prone to decay.
Dr.J - Ortho