What can you tell me about distal jets?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joygoss

What can you tell me about distal jets?

#1 Post by joygoss »

I'm having a distal jet put on the 27th of January. I have spacers in right now and will have had them on for 19 days! Is that normal? Also, my ortho and I chose the distal jet for crowding as opposed to extraction because he said my profile is nice and doesn't want it to change. I still don't know much about the distal jet. Can you help? Thanks!

dr.j

#2 Post by dr.j »

Then distal jet is an OK appliancce, not too troublesome to folks. What's interesting is that the jet appliance will drive back your upper teeth to allow room for the pulling back of your overbite/crowding. Thus, the profile effect will be the same if you successfully distalize your upper back teeth or you extract 2 upper teeth. If your overbite is eliminated by pulling things back it is 6 vs. 1/2 dozen with repsect to your profile when it comes to distal jet vs. extractions. However, it will likely look nicer to have a fuller smile from the front view with all of your teeth.

19 days of spacers is fine.
Dr.J - Ortho

joygoss

#3 Post by joygoss »

Thanks for your reply Dr. J .

The orto said I would need four extractions - 2 on top, 2 on bottom, but only wear the distal jet on top. ???? But, I agree with you, it would be the same result if I had two extractions vs. the distal jet, but with it being four, does that make any more sense? And, do you know, on average, how long I will have to wear it before I can get the braces put on?

Thanks!

HeadgearJoe

Re: What can you tell me about distal jets?

#4 Post by HeadgearJoe »

joygoss wrote:I'm having a distal jet put on the 27th of January. I have spacers in right now and will have had them on for 19 days! Is that normal? Also, my ortho and I chose the distal jet for crowding as opposed to extraction because he said my profile is nice and doesn't want it to change. I still don't know much about the distal jet. Can you help? Thanks!
i found a great site on this appliance pictures an how it works , man what an appliance , http;//jorthod.maneyjournals.org , hope that helps
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

joygoss

#5 Post by joygoss »

Thanks a bunch, HeadgearJoe! My husband says it looks like a space ship in my mouth. There's no screw in the palate as those pictures show - it looks kind of like a retainer (but thicker) and it's cemented to the palate. It's a pain in the rear and I can't talk plain, but I'll take it anyday over spacers!

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it very much.

HeadgearJoe

#6 Post by HeadgearJoe »

joygoss wrote:Thanks a bunch, HeadgearJoe! My husband says it looks like a space ship in my mouth. There's no screw in the palate as those pictures show - it looks kind of like a retainer (but thicker) and it's cemented to the palate. It's a pain in the rear and I can't talk plain, but I'll take it anyday over spacers!

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it very much.
hay no prob i'm glade to help out , thats what most of use r here for is support an answers
braces off 1/31/08 wearing bonded retainers with a nightsplint, will get removable hawleys 2/21/08

joygoss

#7 Post by joygoss »

This site is wonderful. It actually helped me make the decision to get braces. I read the forums for a while and decided it would be a breeze since I had this "support group" available. Thanks so much!