Ceramic vs. Metal Brackets

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rsprouse

Ceramic vs. Metal Brackets

#1 Post by rsprouse »

Hi,

I have a decision to make and would like another professional opinion. I am in my late 20's, had braces when I was younger along with a palatal expander. I currently have a unilateral cross bite (from 12 - 15) due to insufficient maxillary width and slight mandibular anterior crowding and a midline shift. The recommended tx is a SARPE (approx 4-5 mm of expansion) and creating proper overbite and overjet as I currently am almost edge to edge on my incisors. The plan is to use a heavy wire at first. I would like to have ceramic brackets on my anteriors, but was told that they often times cannot hold up to heavy wire forces. But of course there is no way to predict what will happen. Since most everything else lines up my tx time is predicted around 8 months start to finish. Of course if brackets break that will extend the tx time. I am finishing up my 3rd year of Dental School and would like to make sure this is finished long before graduation in May 2007. I figure 8 months is very aggressive and it will probably take longer, but I want to get in and out of braces as quickly as possible. So my long winded question is for an opinion or two of if using ceramic brackets are a valid concern? Stick with metal brackets and deal with the less aesthetic appearance? Or go ceramic as the heavy wire should not be too much for them? I am getting tx through my school so another opinion from private practice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Kell

#2 Post by Kell »

I agree that you should go with what your ortho suggests. I have 6 ceramic brackets on my upper front teeth because that is what mine suggests for adults and there is no additional cost. I thought that I would only like ceramic. Now that I have them on I realize that all metal would not be a big deal either. It sounds like you won't have to wear them too long anyway. I'd just go with what your doctor recommends.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

Dark_angel

#3 Post by Dark_angel »

If metal is going to be better than i say go for metal. Since you in dental school the people there should be fine with your metal smile and if there not then they shouldnt be training to be a dentist. I love my braces, i have different colours every appointment and im pleased im finally correcting my mouth.

Whatever kind og braces you have on you have a sort of adjustment period where you think what have i done to my mouth? and you will loathe whatever kind of braces you have. After a week or two you will get used to your new smile and settle comfortable into whatever kind of braces you have chosen.

Maybe ask about damon 3's instead of ceramic.