Fluoride Treatments

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candygrrrl

Fluoride Treatments

#1 Post by candygrrrl »

What is the difference between stannous fluoride (Gel-Kam) and sodium fluoride (Act) treatments? My orthodontist wants me to use Gel-Kam once a day, but the periodontist who did my cleaning doesn't like Gel-Kam and recommends Act instead.

I can't get my ortho to tell me what the difference is, other than Gel-Kam is "better" but "can stain."

I have some spots on my teeth already due to taking antibiotics as a child and am worried about permanent staining with Gel-Kam. I'm also an avid coffee drinker, although I don't smoke.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CelestialVoices

#2 Post by CelestialVoices »

Gel-Kam must be a UK thing, because I've never heard of until I started talking with Lucy :) I use just the regular mint flavored ACT.

rsprouse

#3 Post by rsprouse »

Gel Kam is a stannous fluoride toothepaste whereas ACT is a mouth rinse. Gel Kam can be found at most drug stores, but it will not be on the shelves. You have to ask the pharmacist for it but is over the counter.

Depending on your scenario your oral health provider will recommend one or another. They both do an outstanding job of providing fluoride treatment to your teeth. Gel Kam requires you to brush it around your teeth where as you swish ACT. I personally prefer ACT, but do have patients where I recommend Gel Kam instead. As always, YMMV.

Best,
Rory

candygrrrl

#4 Post by candygrrrl »

Thanks for your replies. Seems to me the ACT is much easier to use as well. Brushing something on and then NOT swallowing seems harder to do than rinsing with something and then spitting really well a couple times so as not to swallow excess.

sydsmom

#5 Post by sydsmom »

Gel-Kam is actually made by Colgate. It's not a UK thing, it's just hard to find in stores. I order it from the internet.

I believe Gel-Kam is more concentrated than Act and the literature I've seen says it prevents cavities better than sodium fluoride. It also helps tremendously with my sensitive teeth.

I use it 2x/day, and haven't had any staining. The package says any staining is not permanent, and can be removed by a hygienist. I also don't mind the taste (it's just like really sugary mint), but maybe I'm strange.... :wink:
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06