got a real quick qestion

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

paul4885

got a real quick qestion

#1 Post by paul4885 »

what does a square wire do compared to a steel wire?

JumpTheDitch

#2 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I may be wrong, but I thought all wires were steel, just different shapes, thicknesses, sizes, etc.. ?

I got a rectangular wire at my first adjustment (replacing the flexible "coaxial cable" starting wire). My ortho didn't tell me anything about it but I remember reading the difference in round wire v square wire relates to "tipping" the teeth and the angle/direction required. Round is better for some types of movement, square for others. Having said that, I can't remember which is for which!

Everyone's different: my teeth were fairly straight but need to be "levelled out" (apparently) before they can by pulled back by elastics and power chains to close extraction gaps and the overjet. I never noticed til I got braces that all the teeth on one side in the upper arch are shorter than the other side. Maybe the square wire's good for 'pulling' teeth down?

Who knows, I let Mr Ortho-Man work his magic...

JumpTheDitch

#3 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I may be wrong, but I thought all wires were steel, just different shapes, thicknesses, sizes, etc.. ?

I got a rectangular wire at my first adjustment (replacing the flexible "coaxial cable" starting wire). My ortho didn't tell me anything about it but I remember reading the difference in round wire v square wire relates to "tipping" the teeth and the angle/direction required. Round is better for some types of movement, square for others. Having said that, I can't remember which is for which!

Everyone's different: my teeth were fairly straight but need to be "levelled out" (apparently) before they can by pulled back by elastics and power chains to close extraction gaps and the overjet. I never noticed til I got braces that all the teeth on one side in the upper arch are shorter than the other side. Maybe the square wire's good for 'pulling' teeth down?

Who knows, I let Mr Ortho-Man work his magic...

dr.j

#4 Post by dr.j »

The original question was square vs stainless steel: this is comparing apples and oranges. Wire sahpe and material are non-comparable.

Round wires: often used for the initial leveling and alignment and later for some types of space closure

Square/rectangular wires: used for the interaction of the bracket slot to move the roots of teeth (torquing) as well as the leveling of the arches. They are usually used mid to late in braces. They have many functions.

Not all wires are stainless steel which are very stiff. Most folks with braces start of with Nickel Titanium wires for maximum shape memory and flexibility. Then ss is used when the brackets are level so that greater forces can be used more comfortably.
Dr.J - Ortho