always tired w/ braces

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetgurl

always tired w/ braces

#1 Post by sweetgurl »

is it me or does getting braces always make me tired. today is my second day and i haven' t eat much in the last few two days. just only soup and that is about it. Do eating less make me tired like without energy most of the time or is it the braces at first.
Also i notice i have a slightly bump on my skin from the inside and when touch on the skin it hurts. the bump is on my neck below the earlobe about two inches. Does braces cause that at first. My second molar most of the time today always seeem hurt on the right side. Could it be that and I have two blister inside my mouth.
Any reply from doctors or others is greatly appreciated.

Kimberley

#2 Post by Kimberley »

Hi there. I did find that braces made me tired too. Even after a year of having of having them, I find after I get them tightened that I get sleepy more easily. I'm thinking it could be one of two things: when you're teeth move lots it takes up a lot of energey, and second, because the teeth are tender and you're not eating as much as you normally would that might contribute to you having less energy. I do try to have a protein drink at least once a day and try to stay away from food with too many sugars in it after an appointment with my ortho, I find a lot of soft foods also have way too much sugar and so your energy spikes but also drops really quickly.

Hope that helps,
Kimberley

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

Pain and stress tire out the body, and the shock of braces can be quite a big stress.

Kell

#4 Post by Kell »

I felt tired the first 3 weeks especially the muscles in my face. It has gotten better. I still notice it some of the time but it's not as constant as it was at the beginning.
Kelly
See my WWW link below.

sweetgurl

tired

#5 Post by sweetgurl »

yeah it could be i don't eat much food and the body begins to take my energy. i hope it stops soon. thanks for replying. now is the third day i still feel tired and aches in the arm. thanks

Missingorigin

#6 Post by Missingorigin »

I am always tired, I today when I came with my new braces, i did felt tired.

chinadoll

Interesting!

#7 Post by chinadoll »

Kimberley, thank you for pointing that out about the soft foods containing lots of sugar. That's been a major struggle for me, but I never made the connection w/ tiredness. Snacks like crunchy vegetables, tortilla chips with salsa, even bagels or rice cakes, etc., are practically off limits for me and I really don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I find myself ingesting much more sugar because that's what's in the soft stuff (yogurt, ice cream, soft fruits, etc.)! That explains why my energy takes so many dips though. Thanks for making that connection.
Class II Malocclusion (Anterior Open Bite & Mild Crowding)
6 ceramic uppers, the rest metal

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

If you continue to get hives or bumps in your facial area or inside your mouth, you may have an allergy to either the metal the braces/archwires are made of, or the latex in the ligatures. You may want to call your ortho's office and discuss your symptoms just to be on the safe side if this continues.

On the other hand, it could just be the effects of stress on your body, or you could be coming down with something not related to your braces (flu is rapidly going around in my area, for example).
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

hepcat

#9 Post by hepcat »

hi.. just wanted to tell you that i usually get bumps on my neck but they have to do with piercing i have on my ears.. it could have to do with the metal, but since it isn't inside your skin it shouldn't do that, i'm not sure.
but i have always put aloe vera gel on the bumps, a few days later they disapear. hope this helps :)

i also have felt very tired since the braces.. but never made a connection!
how interesting.. that's why i feel so lazy!! :)