Metal or ceramic

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

davidpeden

Metal or ceramic

#1 Post by davidpeden »

Hi can anyone tell me if they have been given the same info as me. Really wanted ceramic braces on uppers, but been told by my ortho that metal ones will work faster, and wants me to have them for the first 6 months at least :oops: Anyone else told the same?
The long road to straight teeth!

sweetgurl

hye

#2 Post by sweetgurl »

yeah i heard metal one work faster than ceramic, but i think metal irritated your skin the most. i have trouble with the banding inside of my mouth and that is metal think about having all metal. i don' t know maybe u will get use to it. for me i have ceramic. i really like it because people can't really tell if i have braces unless if i talking to them face to face.i feel more confident with it. my teeth are not that white but still the ceramic color blend in. not meaning it will turn yellow. even though for me i know it take couple of months i stll accept it. make the best choice!

phanta

#3 Post by phanta »

My ortho told me that the difference between ceramics and metal would be 2-4 months depending on your case. It didn't seem that significant to me and I opted for ceramics.

My Braces Story at www.bracedblog.com

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

Davidpeden, the issue of whether metals and ceramics work faster/slower never came up at my initial consultation.

I chose ceramics for my lower teeth, having gone with lingual on top. The cost for ceramics was slightly higher than if I'd opted for all metal. The ortho bracketed the 8 most visible teeth with ceramics, and the rest with metal (which you can't see anyway).

I'm happy with the way the ceramics look as for me this is as much about not showing too much "tooth jewellery" as it is about getting the job done.

mrs z

#5 Post by mrs z »

I got ceramics on top too....and foolishly went for gold on the bottom because my ortho will not do clear beackets on the bottom teeth. The gold look AWFUl and I am going in next week to have them replaced with silver.
Why won't some docs do clear on the bottoms?

braces4me

#6 Post by braces4me »

My ortho did not say there would be any difference in treatment if I went with ceramic versus metal.

mrs z...my ortho would not do ceramic on bottom either so I got them on my top and metal on bottom.

fins

#7 Post by fins »

My ortho never mentioned metal is faster that ceramic. I will get my metal lowers and ceramic uppers removed at the same time. I love the ceramics but I'm a little scared of having them removed. I think the metal are easier to take off. That said, I would still not trade them in the metal.

joplin

#8 Post by joplin »

Fins, I've had a couple of ceramis brackets changed during treatment and they came off really nice and easy, so don't worry about that too much :)
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.