Dr. J I went to see a RO

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

alyssabunny

Dr. J I went to see a RO

#1 Post by alyssabunny »

Hi Dr J.,

I went to see a real ortho and she thinks it is going to be another 30 months plus surgery and possibly extractions (in addition to the 16 months I have already spent).

She didnt think that my dentist messed up anything, but that in order to get things perfect it is going to be a lot longer then my dentist estimated. Is 4 years in braces a common thing if your teeth are reasonably messed up?

Also, is there any way for me to get any of my money back? My fiancee is also having his braces done and he isnt happy with his results. Between the two of us, we have paid this guy $10,000. I just worry that this guy is going to screw up his teeth in addition to mine. Do you think he should have an evaluation also?

Kind Regards,

Alyssa

sweetgurl

hey

#2 Post by sweetgurl »

hey i am so sorry that this happen.i not sure if u can get your money back. even if u stop it really depend on the contract. i not sure how it works but sometime if u stop in the middle of a treatment sometime u owe them money, they owe u money, or owe nothing(which is rare). or u might want to really do something about it then he might not let u owe any more money. what was your problem again with this dentist. we probabaly forgot to answer this question.

lianas

#3 Post by lianas »

Iwould get at least 3 different ortho consults. Talk to your dentist about getting some money back. you can call the dental ass. in your state and file a complaint if you feel your dentist didnt give you what he said you would end up with in the end. A panel of dentists will evulate your case make sure you have all your record before and now pictures and possibly your other ortho consults results. I had to do this with my daughter and told them i wanted the full fee back because the new ortho wanted a full fee to rebrace her and treat her so I got 5400 dollars. Call your dental insurer and they can tell you how to do it.

missingu

#4 Post by missingu »

Newbie here. What is an RO and what did the first ortho do to you and your boyfriend? From people's responses it sounds pretty serious. I mean, in case the ortho did something really bad and you don't want to talk about it, then don't, but if there is something I should look out for, I'd love to know.

Either way, maybe if you sat down with the ortho and discussed that your concerns are so serious you are considering the actions discussed, you wouldn't have to do anything. It would let him know you are serious about his, but maybe get him to refund your money without having to involve other agencies. I don't have insurance so I can imagine your frustrations.

alyssabunny

#5 Post by alyssabunny »

Sorry about that. I didnt want to continue the other thread since it is very large and there is some unrelated arguments in it.

Here is the other link:

viewtopic.php?t=10109

dr.j

#6 Post by dr.j »

If you choose to leave the GP who is doing your ortho tx then it may pose a wierd situation for your significant other. He may choose to cut the chord as well. These instances come up from time to time with some GP's who "dabble in ortho". Especially now that these folks are really getting into Invisalign. It's not that they can't treat cases well. It's that they have not had the specialized training in diagnosis that an orthodontist has. We know which "easy Invisalign case or run-of -the-mill braces case for a GP" could blow up into extraction(s)/ surgical case because of 2 things:
1) failure to adequately diagnose a condition
2) failure to render a prognosis of the proposed treatment
Somewhere out there are some GP's who can do orthodontics every bit as good as we can or better. Good luck on your journey. I hope you find what you're looking for with your smile!

:wink:
Dr.J - Ortho