molars not meeting because of lower front brackets

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

inspired and wired

molars not meeting because of lower front brackets

#1 Post by inspired and wired »

Hi There,
I'm new to the site and just got braces put on one week ago as an adult.

Dx: (1) Lower jaw behind upper (2) Deep bite (3) Crowding lower (4) Relapse following previous treatment (5) Midlines are off (6) Gum heights are different: upper teeth

Treatment: Full braces; ceramic brackets on top and metal brackets on bottom.

Bottom brackets and bracket bumpers on lower incisors are touching top teeth, preventing jaw from fully closing and all molars from touching, making chewing impossible...living on protein smoothies...

Is this expected/normal with orthodontic treatment?

How long will this last?

Thanks...

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

Hi, I don't have a problem with an overbite...underbite...etc. I do have my canine in a crossbite position and it made it impossible for me to completely bite down...until this past monday. So...for me it lasted a full 2 months and 3 weeks of my teeth not touching because of that crossbite.

Don't worry though, you will somehow find ways to chew...it takes a bit of practice but you'll get it. ;)

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

Ice

#3 Post by Ice »

inspired and wired, you should have gotten a bite block or a bite plate like I did?

In anycase you can ring your ortho if you're concerned, which is probably a good thing before the incisor brackets wear away any of the top teeth.

Kroozergirl

#4 Post by Kroozergirl »

Hi Inspired, I just got my braces put on today and because my bottem brackets were hitting my upper teeth, My Ortho put on I am guessing they are called bumpers? A piece of hardened wax on the top of my molars on each side... I am wondering how am I going to last for 8 weeks with those on, I can't even chew. Maybe you should call your Ortho with your concerns....

inspired and wired

#5 Post by inspired and wired »

The ortho did put on those clear rubber bumpers on top of the lower brackets to protect my incisors...those are really hard to keep clean, though...and the biggest food trap. Tonight I tried to pull them away slightly to brush behind them...would love to know if there are any secrets to keeping those clean...the little "Christmas tree" brush or whatever it's supposed to be called can't access that area properly either!

I did call my ortho's office about it my back teeth not touching, and they said my back teeth would eventually come together...they were very vague on it, though...I wanted a time frame, and exact details on how it would happen!!

I've been thinking about getting a SonicCare system to clean my teeth and braces, but not sure if it would be easier or more effective. Anyone ever try it?

It's been 9 days and my mouth is still tender, though not as bad as it first was...can finally brush my teeth without bleeding, but I'm a little stuck on the flossing part...always feels like as I'm pulling up, I'm going to tear the archwire out...maybe I'm supposed to pull the floss through the back up through the archwire before pulling up and out instead of trying to pull out from the inside?

I think I'm becoming a smoothie expert...so far, tried 20 smoothie recipes, another 20 more to go. Graduated to eggs...what a milestone! The upside? A great way to lose weight...had 5 pounds left to lose, nailed 4 in one week...

Oh, and the best part about getting braces as an adult? It takes 10 years off!

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

This is quite normal.

I had a similar problem when one side of my molars was hitting a bracket and so NOTHING touched in the back.

My ortho was vague as well about when this would come together. I got used to it and WAS ABLE TO EAT normally (honest!!) in about 3 weeks. My molars didn't actually come together completely for 4 months.

You'll adjust to it, just try to ignore it :shock: (although I know it's hard)

About cleaning, use a waterpik!! It'll blast anything out of any space. My ortho assistant complements me on how clean I keep my front Opals, she's sure its because I use a waterpik.

Best wishes to you!!
Jenn
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm