extraction by dent. or surgeon

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sweetgurl

extraction by dent. or surgeon

#1 Post by sweetgurl »

i was wondering is it best to get extraction by a dentist or a surgeon. Since surgeon has more school and training is that the best option. How much does it cost for extraction from dentist and surgeon.

Flora2006

#2 Post by Flora2006 »

My dentist charges about 70$ for a simple extraction. But I had to pay 160$ for a complicated extraction. Wisdom teeth start at 250$ and go up according to complications that may occure. Surgeons would cost a lot more. (Those costs are Canadian money and the prices are what my dentist charges...each practice varies though)

Honestly though, if your dentist is confident, he can do it. I would think that he would tell you if you should seek a surgeon to extract a tooth if he thought he wouldn't be able to do it...

Usually a lot of people have their wisdom teeth extracted by the surgeon and other teeth by their dentist...I know that for myself, my dentist will remove my wisdom teeth just because I trust him and he's confident about removing them...

~~~~~~

Ceramic top braces: January 9th, 2006
Metal bottom braces: May 1st, 2006

momof2grlz

#3 Post by momof2grlz »

My general dentist did my two simple pre-molar extractions. Took less than 5 minutes per tooth. He charged $55.00 per extraction. I think wisdom teeth extractions might call for a surgeon, but my general dentist sometimes does those too.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Idislikebraces

Re: extraction by dent. or surgeon

#4 Post by Idislikebraces »

sweetgurl wrote:i was wondering is it best to get extraction by a dentist or a surgeon. Since surgeon has more school and training is that the best option. How much does it cost for extraction from dentist and surgeon.
I got my 2nd to last molars removed by a dental surgeon because my dentist wouldnt do it...he said that it would be too complicated...but a few years before he took out one of my smaller teeth...so if its one of the front teeth ur dentist will prob. do it but if its a larger back tooth go to a surgeon! :o
August 10, 2005
Ceramic Uppers and Metal Bottoms!
A few months later a Nance Appliance.
anddd nowwww:
De bonding on October 23, 2007!

sweetgurl

thanks

#5 Post by sweetgurl »

thanks for your input. that is very helpful

Missingorigin

#6 Post by Missingorigin »

I got my 4 wisdom teeth and 4 premolars extracted by my dentist. it turned out okay.

missingu

#7 Post by missingu »

My dentist said he preferred to let oral surgeon do extractions when there might be complications. For me it was a molar with an already-existing root canal which he thought might have been fractured. He wanted to make sure he didn't start extraction to find the root fractured, and make it worse for me.

Oral surgeon cost $202 (USD) for one tooth. Worth every cent!!!! She was superb and took it out and I didn't really know she had done it. No awful sounds or pressure. I was impressed. So I vote for the surgeon (no insurance, cash up front) but well worth it. Took maybe 5 minutes and it wasn't pretty, either.

Someone made a good point, that if your dentist doesn't feel comfortable they will probably refer out, so probably best to follow that. Worth it to me.

Also, very little pain afterwards. Not something I'd choose to do again, but so much less misery than expected, maybe because she was trained in oral surgery