8 molar bands

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jose

8 molar bands

#1 Post by jose »

HI Doc..

Just to know... In my last adj my ortho put me an additional set of 4 bands.

I started with only 2 in the bottom. Then 2 additional in the top. Then now other 4 molar bands and I have now in total 8.

What is the purpose of it?

I have full metal GAC selfligating brackets.

Thanks

Regards

Jose

jose

#2 Post by jose »

Anybody knows about?

jcdamon3

#3 Post by jcdamon3 »

I don't have eight molar bands but I have eight hooks. These usually go on the molar bands. I just don't have any molar bands except for on my capped tooth. I can't tell you much else except that I only have a type 1 malocclusion and don't think I will be in any major rubber band configurations. I hope.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

JumpTheDitch

#4 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Also used for closing extraction gaps. Additional anchorange I guess.

I started with 4 bands and got an extra 4 after having two upper second bicuspids extracted.

JCDamon3, if you don't have any molar bands, how do the teeth get pulled into place?

jcdamon3

#5 Post by jcdamon3 »

JCDamon3, if you don't have any molar bands, how do the teeth get pulled into place?
My brackets on my first and second molars are bonded directly to the tooth. So I have brackets, but no bands. So far none have fallen off and my molars have some radical moves they need to accomplish. My upper 2nd molar was crossbiting because of flaring and it is coming down nicely. My lower 2nd molar on the same side is rotated and he just attached the archwire to it on Wednesday. (previously my archwire was 6 to 6 - now it is 7 to 7)

Yes, indeed after 8 months I finally got out of my baby wires on the bottom!

I was in a bit of pain because of the new configuration but it is already going away now (Friday). I think I took two advil total.

Anyway, it is possible that with the damon brackets the force is lower therefore they feel that they can bond directly to those teeth. Knock on wood that nothing falls apart!

I was lucky like Karen and didn't have to have the spacers. I had one rubber and one metal around my capped tooth. I guess they just can't bond a bracket to gold.
Mid Forties!

Ga_N8V

#6 Post by Ga_N8V »

Dr Randall posted a response to a similar question a few months ago:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They should be included if the do not line up. I don't usually put the second molar bands on at the beginning of treatment but more like the second half. You should definitely ask your orthodontist what their plans are for those teeth.

Randall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone had a follow-up question regarding the timing of the second banding and Dr Randall responded with:

It can depend on how far the teeth are out of alignment. Usually they just need a bit of tweeking to move to the correct spot. Then I wait until the last 4-6 months. If they are really out of position, then they get banded earlier, like in the first few months.

Randall

And finally, I recall Dr. J weighing in on this previously but I can't find the exact quote ... it went something along the lines that it depends on the course of treatment and that banding the 2nd set of molars was a sign of a good and caring Orthodontist (or words to that effect).

-Bill

Ga_N8V

#7 Post by Ga_N8V »

Dr Randall posted a response to a similar question a few months ago:

They should be included if the do not line up. I don't usually put the second molar bands on at the beginning of treatment but more like the second half. You should definitely ask your orthodontist what their plans are for those teeth.

Randall

Someone had a follow-up question regarding the timing of the second banding and Dr Randall responded with:

It can depend on how far the teeth are out of alignment. Usually they just need a bit of tweeking to move to the correct spot. Then I wait until the last 4-6 months. If they are really out of position, then they get banded earlier, like in the first few months.

Randall

And finally, I recall Dr. J weighing in on this previously but I can't find the exact quote ... it went something along the lines that it depends on the course of treatment and that banding the 2nd set of molars was a sign of a good and caring Orthodontist (or words to that effect).

-Bill

jcdamon3

#8 Post by jcdamon3 »

Hi Karen,

Yay! I bet those powerchains can cause a little achiness! I wonder if powerchains are in my future? Some of my crowdiness is turning into gapiness at least on the top. I don't really know how they deal with the gaps with damons but I am pretty sure they put powerchains on damons too! If they do, maybe I will get pink!

My next adjustment is in 6 weeks and I am hoping to move up again! Right now I have .018's on top and .016's on the bottom. I just moved up from .014's on the bottom, finally!
Mid Forties!