Real Ortho equals Member AAO?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mikey

Real Ortho equals Member AAO?

#1 Post by mikey »

Hi, I've been lurking on this forum for a bit and have now scheduled a few consultations.

I was wondering what is meant in general by the term "real orthodonist". I ask because I have found a number of orthodontists who are not members of the AAO (as found on braces.org), but who claim to be "certified" and have a practice limited exclusively to orthodontics. Some of these people are listed as orthodontists (not general dentists) on, e.g., the invisalign website.

What can be assumed here ... a lack of formal training? Or is there some other reason that an ortho would choose not to be a member of the AAO?

I am particularly interested because the following thread suggests that almost all orthos are members of the AAO by default.

viewtopic.php?t=9876&highlight=aao

Can somebody please shed some light on this matter? Thanks.

dr.j

#2 Post by dr.j »

If you want to know about the doctors training AAO means that they are a true orthodontist with formal training in a residency program. But some orthodontists choose not to join the AAO. Kind of like the square and the rectangle thing.
Dr.J - Ortho