Porcelain Veneer Question

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

altinure

Porcelain Veneer Question

#1 Post by altinure »

When I was 10 years old, I chipped most of my front tooth, and they put a porcelain veneer on it. I'm now 21 years old, and I have a few questions about it. I know this isn't your area, but these are simple questions, but I just can't find the answers online.

Ok, I'm noticing that my porcelain veneer looks slightly more yellow than all my other teeth. Are the porcelain veneers not able to whiten or darken? It seems wierd that my other teeth got whiter since I've been 10, but they must have because my veneer is slightly more yellow. If I want to fix this when my braces come off (because I've been planning on whitening my teeth after braces), will I have to get a new veneer?

Also, how long do veneers usually last? Mine's been in for 11 years now. Is it just going to randomly fall out or something? I've heard they don't last forever.

I hope I don't have to replace it soon. They're expensive, haha.

jcdamon3

#2 Post by jcdamon3 »

This is a pretty good site:

http://www.animated-teeth.com

I don't think porcelain stains. So if you whiten your teeth after you have the porcelain attached it could look more yellow, since they matched your teeth at the time that they put them on.
Braced on 8/05 - Braces off 12/06
Mid Forties!

weird_wired

#3 Post by weird_wired »

It is strange that your teeth got whiter if you didn't have bleaching treatment.

I know that when you do have bleaching, they warn you that veneers or other non-natural tooth material will not bleach. Nor are they supposed to stain, THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT IT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR., but perhaps yours has?

altinure

#4 Post by altinure »

Yeah, perhaps they have just stained slightly over the last 11 years. It's really only noticable to me, but maybe I'll replace it when my braces come off.

Shawnie

#5 Post by Shawnie »

jcdamon3 - thanks for the link to the site, it's very interesting!

Shawnie
Braced - 10/04/05
Treatment - 30 to 36 months
Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers
Impacted canines-Crowding-Crossbite
6 baby teeth!
Canine exposure surgery of two teeth 3/29/06
2nd canine exposure of one tooth 11/15/06

#6 Post by 6488 »

Your porcelain veneer did not darken.

There are a couple possible reasons for the difference in color.

First, if you were only 10 at the time, that means that the pulp (nerve) in the tooth was very large, and therefore they would not have drilled down the enamel any more than they had to -- the result would have been a very thin veneer.

Though porcelain does not change color, resins sometimes do. That veneer was luted (glued) on with a composite resin, and depending on the brand or generation, some resins are susceptible to darkening over time, and this darkness could be showing through a thin veneer.

Or if you've used any sort of product on your teeth with an active hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, then your teeth could have lightened. The younger teeth are, the more easily they bleach -- so being a young person, you could have had some whitening from use of a product with active peroxides.

My best recommendation would be, after you finish your ortho, after your teeth are stabilized (when your orthodontist says it's OK), I'd have that veneer removed, bleach your teeth, wait a little whiile for the color to stabilize and then have another GOOD veneer placed.

Veneers are art. There are cheap dentists and expensive dentists. Regardless of price, find a dentist who has extreme pride in his or her cosmetic dentistry. Matching one single tooth in front is no easy task, and it takes a very committed dentist AND dental laboratory. And it takes a Picasso -- this is truly art.

The reason I'd suggest removing your existing veneer first is so that the tooth underneath can be bleached. The veneer will look much more lifelike if it is translucent -- but a thin translucent veneer will allow a darker tooth underneath to show through -- so the veneer would have to be either made more opaque, or more of the tooth would have to be drilled off so the veneer could be thicker. Neither is a good option.

So you put up with a funny looking smile for a few weeks to have a healthy, great looking smile for years and years. I think it's a good tradeoff.
Dr. Rod Kurthy
www.DentalMiracles.com