Whats it feel like?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vincent

Whats it feel like?

#1 Post by vincent »

hi i know this may be a common question but i could not search for it as there was so many, im due to get braces and id like to know what post extractions feel like because i need two premolars/ (the ones before the 1st molar) removed and id like to know will they cause me annoysance because i have exams coming up soon and id like to know if i shoul dget them done after!!! any past expierences will be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards Vincent

momof2grlz

#2 Post by momof2grlz »

I had 2 upper premolars extracted last September - 11 months into my braces journey. After the anesthetic kicked in, it took less than 5 minutes per tooth for the extraction. Afterward, I kept waiting for pain to set in and it never did. The only time I even thought about the extractions was when I was eating and food bumped the extraction areas.

Just remember, after the extractions no smoking, no drinking with straws and only gentle swishing with salt water. You don't want to disturb the blood clot and risk developing dry socket.

I'm sure you'll be fine. It's really not bad at all.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

vincent

#3 Post by vincent »

thank you for your response, i think that i may have them extracted soon and after my exams i will have the braces on!!!

Henna_the_braceface

#4 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

I had my upper first premolars and lower second premolars extracted 5 months ago. The injection hurts a bit but the extraction procedure is really quick. Your mouth may feel wierd having gaps in for a while!

Azalin

#5 Post by Azalin »

I had all four wisdom teeth pulled back in December. I was given laughing gas and sleeping gas, which I really don't recommend. The anesthesia lasted me all day. I felt a tiny bit of stinging late at night, but one Advil fixed that. The only thing that bothered me was the puffy cheeks.

I really wouldn't suggest getting gassed unless you really, really want to. It made me feel incredibly nauseous for at least five hours after the surgery. Every time I tried eating something, I started gagging. And my mouth was full of blood, so it wasn't that great. You should be fine with just the anesthesia.

Also, I hear drinking tons of pineapple juice before the surgery will reduce swelling. And make sure to apply ice to your face for the rest of the day, after the surgery. I decided not to use ice, because I didn't think the swelling was going to be bad. It was terrible. I looked like the Jiminy Glick for almost a week. I remember desperately researching ways to reduce swelling, fearing that people at school the next day would notice my huge cheeks.

If you do feel pain, and I doubt you will, do not take the painkillers they give you. They'll make you really tired, and depending what kind of painkillers they are, might even make you hallucinate. You don't want to be drowsy or hallucinating while taking finals. A Tylenol or two should get rid of the pain.

vincent

#6 Post by vincent »

well i have booked for my extractions next monday, hopefully it will all go smoothly, anything i should be aware of like preparations beforehand and all that? any tips for healing ASAP and avoiding dry socket?

Dreamer

#7 Post by Dreamer »

Just take your pain meds on time the day of your extractions and don't drink anything carbonated. Plan to rest after they are extracted and you will be surprised how good you feel the next day! Good luck!
full metal braces 4/26/05~~debanded 12/13/07!
12/13/07 bonded retainers + wrap around hawley

vincent

#8 Post by vincent »

just wonder have you guys every heard of someone loosint teeth from having braces? and thanks a lot for the replies!!!

vincent

#9 Post by vincent »

just wonder have you guys every heard of someone loosint teeth from having braces? and thanks a lot for the replies!!!

vincent

#10 Post by vincent »

how would one go about avoiding root absorbtion? sounds pretty serious!

vincent

#11 Post by vincent »

oh just out of curiosity and general knowledge, you know the gaps/holes that will be left after i have my teeth extracted, what will ahppen to them and also what will happen when the other teeth move into the gaps? i heard that the teeth feel really sensitive when they are moving into the previous holes!!!

Henna_the_braceface

#12 Post by Henna_the_braceface »

well for me they were quite sensitive. I'm getting springs to close the extraction gaps in a few weeks.

vincent

#13 Post by vincent »

i am getting braces soon and i have notices a cavatie on the smooth side of my tooth im very scared but one thing i woul dlike to ask about is sealants, what are they and how effective are they, i already have 3 fairly large fillings on my lower molars and i have a few dark lines on the side of my upper molars, could they be cavaties?

vincent

#14 Post by vincent »

oh about flossing i use one thats like a tooth brush, are there any tips, mine a wisdom one its like the shape of a coat hanget at the top, my gums bleed when i use the stringy ones