Question about severe pain and movement UPDATE!

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nille

Question about severe pain and movement UPDATE!

#1 Post by Nille »

I have been braced for 2 weeks and have had quite a bit of movement. Yesterday I woke up unable to bite down correctly because my bottom right premolar had moved overnight and it hits my upper teeth. It is pretty sore to chew food on it. This morning I took a sip of almost room temp water and it hurt like the devil. It felt like the pain went through the entire bottom right jaw! Now I am worried that something could be wrong! I tried to pull my mouth back/out to see if my gums looked red or swollen and that sent a pain through my jaw also. I can brush my teeth with no pain so it is kind of weird. Do I need to call my Ortho or go see my dentist?
Last edited by Nille on Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full metal mouth! 5-23-06
Estimated time: 12-18 months!

DrJeffOrtho

#2 Post by DrJeffOrtho »

call your orthodontist

Nille

#3 Post by Nille »

Thanks Dr. Jeff! I will be going in at 9 a.m. tomorrow. I am a little worried. I hope it's nothing serious!

Nille

#4 Post by Nille »

My pain seems to be coming from one single tooth although it radiates through that entire side of my jaw. As I said before that tooth has had significant movement in the past 2-3 days. I called my ortho and he told me to come in to be sure it wasn't something serious. He took an x-ray to be sure everything looked okay, no infection/abcess, etc. That was normal. He did say I have a little bit of gum recession around that tooth and the added pressure from it moving probably inflamed those nerves making it more sensitive. He took the bracket off that tooth and told me to use Sensodyne as genxsis mentioned. He did say it usually takes 3 weeks of using Sensodyne for it to improve. If after 3 weeks there is no improvement he said he will send me to my dentist to check for problems.

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

Before bracing, I had AGONISING gum recession, that despite a year of fluoride gels was still causing me issues. At its worst, room temperature water was unbearable. Breathing in cold air sent shooting pains. And the pain from extreme hot or cold was almost indescribable.

The actual gum that was receded was just a tiny, tiny little bit on one tooth that I couldn't even see.

Miraculously, getting braces has solved it for good (at least until I get them removed!) as the slight swelling you get from braces seems to have made the gum recover the gap.

Sorry that your experience has kind of been the opposite, but I hope you find that - like for me - once the erosion area is covered, the problem rapidly, immediately vanishes.

My dentist recommended fluoride treatment, fluoride varnish, and high strength fluoride toothpaste and a fluoride gel to put on myself. The brand is called Emoform. I also had a mouthwash at one point. You might also like to try CG Tooth Mousse (or any Recaldent product) as it's supposed to be even more effective than fluoride at helping rebuild exposed tooth surface.

Nille

#6 Post by Nille »

Thanks Weird-wired! It's been about a week with the Sensodyne and I think I am starting to feel some relief. I had a pretty good day with it yesterday so we'll see how today goes. That tooth has actually moved back to where it was pre-braces so my bite is more comfortable and I'm not hitting that tooth as much either! Hopefully that will help also! I'll have to look for that fluoride gel so if it doesn't get better or starts again when the bracket goes back on then I'll know where to get it!