expander removal?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CelestialVoices

expander removal?

#1 Post by CelestialVoices »

Hi Dr. Genecov, I have had my expander since late October (the 26th to be exact) It's not a palate one but something called Porter appliance which just moves my teeth...how exactly do they remove it?

Since it's glued to your mouth....maybe they use some type of solvent or something for the cement? Does getting it taken out hurt? I'm not really nervous or anything about getting it taken out (I'll be relieved if anything!) but was just curious how it's done.

**Note to Lynn** I hope this was okay to post twice since we now have a doc in the forum.

Azalin

#2 Post by Azalin »

I had my palatal expander removed exactly one year ago. My orthodontist just pulled mine off and then cleaned the cement off my teeth.

CelestialVoices

#3 Post by CelestialVoices »

Thanks Azalin, I feel kind of dumb posting the same topic in two places... :roll:

DrJeffOrtho

#4 Post by DrJeffOrtho »

taking the expander out should be no problem. i have no knowledge of or experience with the device you're referring to, however

Azalin

#5 Post by Azalin »

No problem, and I don't think anyone noticed. :wink:

Also, you might want to brush the teeth that are being covered by the expander really good. When mine was being taken out, two of my teeth felt like they were going to go with it.

CelestialVoices

#6 Post by CelestialVoices »

The expander is on the roof of my mouth, and two teeth have bands or something that the expander is connected to, so I'll be sure to brush those extra good even though they're covered by metal. :)

Thanks Dr. G for replying, I heard from another ortho who used to visit this forum that it is "AKA "W-arch" is also similar to the Quad-helix appliance. It is activated intra-orally and accomplishes dental expansion of the arch." Hope that clears it up! :)

jaws

#7 Post by jaws »

Hi CelestialVoices,

My expander looks like this:

I'm not sure if yours is similar, but both of mine came off relatively easily (I had one on the bottom too!). The hygenist seemed to use some sort of tool to sort of 'break' my molar bands, then pulled everything off and scraped the excess cement off. It didn't hurt at all...there was a bunch of pressure but that's it.
Braces are Now Off!
Metal Braces Top and Bottom
Expanders Top and Bottom
April 11th 2005-June 27th 2006

CelestialVoices

#8 Post by CelestialVoices »

Thanks jaws, I remember you having expanders both on top and bottom, that doesn't sound like too bad of a process and mine is more "W" shaped. :)

bre

#9 Post by bre »

CelestialVoices wrote:The expander is on the roof of my mouth, and two teeth have bands or something that the expander is connected to, so I'll be sure to brush those extra good even though they're covered by metal. :)

Thanks Dr. G for replying, I heard from another ortho who used to visit this forum that it is "AKA "W-arch" is also similar to the Quad-helix appliance. It is activated intra-orally and accomplishes dental expansion of the arch." Hope that clears it up! :)
i had an expander, but it was connected to the two bands by two little bars, which also attatched to the expander itself. to remove it he just cut the little bars. it put alot of pressue on my teeth and was actaully rather painful... :?
but my espander was also lodged and stuck in the roof of my mouth. do not ask how because i have no idea.