Panic attacks...is this normal??

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Marguerite

#16 Post by Marguerite »

Xanax, Xanax, Xanax!!! (Or alprazolam as it is known generically.) This drug has a bad reputation because people abuse it for recreational purposes, but in low doses it is not addictive and has very few side effects. (Just don't drink alcohol after you have taken it.) Ask your doctor about it and s/he will write you a prescription. You don't have to go to a psychiatrist or anything like that unless you want to. Basically it depresses your nervous system so it takes away the symptoms of a pounding heart or choking sensations. Actually, deep breathing is the LAST thing you should do for panic attacks. It floods your body with oxygen and exacerbates your symptoms. The best thing to do is breathe in and out of a paper bag because then you will be breathing in carbon dioxide that you have exhaled and you will not have so much oxygen in your body.

braceface1230

#17 Post by braceface1230 »

Well, I'll just start off by saying that I don't have any magic little trick to control my panic attacks, none. I had them real bad right after I graduated high school. They were as bad as 'embracing the future' described. Sometimes worse, sometimes better, but I always walked around with high anxiety. ALWAYS. I had no feeling of happiness, joy, or certainty. I wasn't even certain if I'd ever feel normal again. If I at least new that, I'd have felt certain of something. But, no. I went through this for about 8 years.

I will say that I went to a psyciatrist, once. And that was it. I quickly found out that he didn't have any more answers than I did so, I was going to try to figure it out on my own. I've never taken any prescription for it, because frankly, people with high(er) anxiety don't physically have anything wrong with them. I've heard it said that there is a hyper thyroid, or chemical imbalance, and that's the reason. It's not.

The fact is, anxiety, is just a trick word that a guy/girl who went to "psyc school" came up with to make it sound like they have the answer to what's really wrong. You're just having a feeling of fear. It's only a feeling. And feelings are perfectly normal. Even feelings of fear. We all have them. Every person is capable of feeling them. And to try to numb it, or bury it under a cloud of prescription drugs is not the wise way to go. Sure, you might "feel" different, but have you really uncovered what's wrong? The answer is simple... nope. You haven't uncovered anything.
The only thing uncovered is, the fact you can temporarily cover a feeling with a chemical.

So, whats the answer?

Well, I'd say this: When do you NOT feel anxious? When you're certain of something, right? When you're content with what's happening. When you feel like you know what's going on. But when you feel scared, you don't feel that you have a grasp.

So, what then? Just steer clear of all the things that frighten you? Probably not the best thing to do either. So what to do? What should be your compass? How do you know what the best thing to do is? Well, what's the "best thing"? Even if you do the best thing, there's no guarantee that you won't feel frightened. So, don't do the best thing, or do the best thing? But what if the "best thing" for you isn't the best thing for the next guy, then what?

Now that's the real question. If you do what you want, versus what someone else wants you to do, are you being selfish, conceited, or vain? Or is the other person placing an unfair expectation on you that has no warrant? I guess it depends on the circumstances. And we all know that circumstances change more than the wind.

So, that brings me back to "feelings". How can you feel in control circumstances that change more than the wind? Answer: You can't... realistically. If you're honest with yourself, you'll realize you can't control the uncontrolable.

So, what can I control? Or, WHO'S in control? Yeah, that's the ultimate question. Who's in control? Is it an imaginary "force"? Is it your feelings? Is it you? Is it me? Is it the government? Is it the enemy? If it is the enemy, who is the enemy? Really? But they say its us. So anyways....

Think of what contentment "feels" like. Or, remember what it feels like. Then, ask yourself if you're content with who, or what's in control.

Like I said, I don't have the magic answer to controling my fear/anxiety, but I'll give you hint to something: If you come to grips with who's REALLY in control with all of this, and I mean ALL of it. I mean, really come to grips... realize, know, understand, whatever you want to call it. Then you'll find there's no reason to be afraid. And, chances are, that what you "think" you're afraid of, is really not what you're "really" afraid of.

Yeah, I know; Sometimes it's just better if I keep my thoughts to myself. :wink: But, I'm kind of bored and I've already clipped my toenails.

braceface1230

#18 Post by braceface1230 »

Yeah I know, it's by the grace of God that I'm even able to wipe myself.

braceface1230

#19 Post by braceface1230 »

Thanks Kiwi. Yeah, I know that there are many factors that play into anxiety. I just have a real problem with medicating though. Accept in extreme cases, where maybe the person is a physical threat to others. Then I could see the need for it, but not in something that involves a bit of a freak out over getting braces. (That was not meant to be mean) I just think that a little anxiety and a little fear are perfectly normal and far too many people go overboard with meds and the like. When a lot of times, just talking with others (not a psych) could have helped. But, trying to sum it all up on here could take a life time. So, ok then.

talmeida86

#20 Post by talmeida86 »

Well I too suffer from anxiety and I need braces badly, I honestly don't think I could go through the installation process without being sedated. Would an ortho be able to sedate you through the whole process?

paw655

#21 Post by paw655 »

As I think I am the resident expert on being treated like dirt by an ortho when I confessed to having a form of mental illness, I do want to jump in on this one.

First of all, if you have real anxiety issues, I think it is imperative to discuss it with the ortho. Be prepared that they may not be as "professional" as would be nice, and instead make you feel like cr@p for having anxiety issues in the first place and may ask you to leave (as the ortho I saw did with me, but not for anxiety). As I said, it really is important to discuss, but as the saying goes, "forewarned is forearmed" so be prepared.

Second, I don't think orthos are licensed (approved by the State) for sedation or having people under anestheisa, so I don't think they can put anyone "out" for the bracing process. Would be nice, but I don't think it works that way.

Third, as most people commented, the real issue is what is driving the anxiety. Anxiety is something that we generate in our head, usually in response to a bad experience. If we develop anxiety, we will keep ourselves out of the bad situation we want to avoid. The reality is, though, that sometimes we have to deal with the original situation, whether we know what it is or not. I know for myself, I am mortified of any kind of liquid or cream in my mouth - I'm OK with dental instruments but simply cannot tolerate anything liquid. I also know that this has to do with some unfortunate events when I was growing up, and I have to keep reminding myself that I am not a child, I am not trapped, etc. Therapy is great, and I advise anyone with similar fears to talk to a therapist because at least for me, it has helped me make great strides. I believe that those who posted with anxiety can use their mind to conquer their mind, as I am working on, and can move toward orthodontia. Maybe it will take a while, but have faith.

Lastly, please stay away from Xanax. That whole class of drugs (benzodiazepines - i.e. Valium, Ativan) are highly addictive. There are some other meds that work just as well to calm down but are not as physically addictive - generally need to see a psychiatrist because they know of the newer off-label drugs but if you are wanting psych meds, its probably a good idea to see a psychiatrist anyhow.

I wish everyone who has posted the best in breaking free from the hold that anxiety has over them.

payoki

I had the same feeling after getting braced.

#22 Post by payoki »

I was having suffocating feelings and I wanted to rip them off. and I couldn't breath. I got really scared. Like how you must feel when trapped in an elevator. after talking to my friends and relatives whose had braces I was able to calm down a bit but the firt week was a hell. Now after 10 month, I almost don't notice it.
mother of one.

Aggiegal

#23 Post by Aggiegal »

Boy, did this post hit a nerve with me! I had a panic attack while my braces were being put on but the tech stopped and asked me to breathe for a little while. The ortho suggested I try again on another day but I was determined to get those braces on since it took me so long to muster up the courage(I'm 35 years old). I had another panic attack about a day or two after the braces were on and had realized that they weren't coming off for another 2 years. I was able to calm myself by calling the ortho, who said that I could have them removed and he would give me a full refund. Just knowing that I had an option and wasn't "trapped" was enough to get me through that first scary week. I would highly suggest seeing a therapist/counselor and taking a yoga/meditation class. I am currently doing both now and wish I would have started before the braces treatment.