Deep Bite..Can't Chew

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Geri

#31 Post by Geri »

Hi Chris, my front teeth felt loose last week and I kept pushing my tongue against them to feel that strangely satisfying click/grind feeling as they move forward. They feel more solid now so it's not happening as much but I guess if I didn't keep telling myself not to do it last week then I would have eventually gotten sore gums. Is this what you mean?
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

Chris

#32 Post by Chris »

Geri wrote:Hi Chris, my front teeth felt loose last week and I kept pushing my tongue against them to feel that strangely satisfying click/grind feeling as they move forward. They feel more solid now so it's not happening as much but I guess if I didn't keep telling myself not to do it last week then I would have eventually gotten sore gums. Is this what you mean?
Actually, its the feeling of more space now...room for my tongue to go further but the bottoms are still lagging behind so if I put my tongue as far as the backs of my TOPS then my tongue sits on top of my bottom teeth. Oh, this is getting ridiculous! :roll: If someone were to tell me that someday I'd be obsessed about the position of my tongue during the day I'd say "get a life". I've got to work on diverting my mind. :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Geri

#33 Post by Geri »

hehehe, Chris....I know what you mean about obsessing with teeth! :D I get what you mean now....I don't have the same problem as you, it doesn't sound at all nice though! I'm not surprised it's bothering you. I'd bring it up with your ortho and find out what he/she thinks and when things should be in a better position, then at least you have an end in sight.

poppet97

Overject 8mm

#34 Post by poppet97 »

Hi all,

I'm due to have my braces fitted on 17th Jan, am feeling really nervous aobut it all.

I have an overjet 8mm and problems with a clicky jaw. I expect to have braces for about 2 years. For about 10 months of that I'll be modelling 'Herbst appliance'. Has anyone heard of this? Has anyone tried it?

Is it painful or as awful as it looks?

The way I'm feeling at the moment don't expect be leaving the house during daylight hours in 2006/2007!

What your 'metal mouth' experience been like so far?

Lisa

Geri

#35 Post by Geri »

Hi Lisa....my experience so far has been pretty good, and this very afternoon I was thinking what a privilege it is for me to be able to afford braces when so many people can't. As you may have read, I've had ups and downs with them....recently having bite issues, but I was soon able to chew again (unlike some people I realize) and most of the time having braces is not a problem at all - no pain, no discomfort. You just have to brush after every meal! I don't know what the herbst appliance is like not having had one but I'm sure someone on this board will have and can tell you about it (also do a search for 'herbst appliance' here - well, you probably already have).

It's totally natural to feel nervous about it all as it's quite a big step for adults- but for me taking the decision to do it was the hardest bit....and finding an ortho I felt good with helped alot too. Good luck!

fins

#36 Post by fins »

Guess my bite is feeling better but my two front teeth and two lower teeth will hit each other once in a while. My guess is they are being pushed out farther and meeting? It's really uncomfortable and I'm scared I'll chip a tooth. Anyone have that experience with their front uppers and lowers? I'm hoping in a few weeks the teeth will line up better. I think as I get more gaps opening the front uppers and lowers have a tendency to "catch" on each other. Ick. :shock:
fins

Chris

#37 Post by Chris »

fins wrote:Guess my bite is feeling better but my two front teeth and two lower teeth will hit each other once in a while. My guess is they are being pushed out farther and meeting? It's really uncomfortable and I'm scared I'll chip a tooth. Anyone have that experience with their front uppers and lowers? I'm hoping in a few weeks the teeth will line up better. I think as I get more gaps opening the front uppers and lowers have a tendency to "catch" on each other. Ick. :shock:
I have the same problem with different teeth at different times.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

fins

#38 Post by fins »

It's an awful feeling isn't it? I'm getting antsy now since my teeth are moving so much and I don't want them to move out too far :shock: Honestly, I feel like I'm just sitting around waiting for the powerchains to be changed.
fins

fins

#39 Post by fins »

For those who have already had the front teeth purposely flared out, how long before your ortho brought them back into position? Did a heavier wire do that? I am really ready to move these guys back now and hope it happens soon.
fins

Chris

#40 Post by Chris »

fins wrote:For those who have already had the front teeth purposely flared out, how long before your ortho brought them back into position? Did a heavier wire do that? I am really ready to move these guys back now and hope it happens soon.
I'm still waiting and its been a year and a half for me. I'm hoping for powerchains to do the trick, who knows.

Once I saw this young man who seemed to be in braces forever, nearing the end it seemed like his front teeth had lots of gaps and flared out too much. He said he didn't have much further to go and I thought to myself it looked like lots of more work to get it to look better. But I was wrong in the end and it wasn't that much longer; when the braces came off it looked perfect....no noticible flare or gaps. I wonder how it was all accomplished.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

fins

#41 Post by fins »

OMG :shock: I want my teeth to stop flaring outward asap. I don't even want to smile now and just a few months ago I really liked my smile :shock:
It would be nice to be able to close my mouth without feeling like my teeth are sticking out. This must paint a terrible picture but I am so uncomfortable with my teeth right now. It feels like the biggest overbite in the world.
fins

Chris

#42 Post by Chris »

fins wrote:OMG :shock: I am so uncomfortable with my teeth right now. It feels like the biggest overbite in the world.
I know what you mean. My top lips goes over my braces but its more of a strain than I had before. I should be better without the brackets but I'm hoping they go back inward a bit before the end. I still have some gaps so there's hope.

When you look in the mirror does it look bad or does it just FEEL BIG in your mouth? Cuz, when I look in the mirror straight ahead it looks fine, but it feels like they flare too much. When I hold my head up and look under I see the big flare (thats what frightens me).
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

fins

#43 Post by fins »

It looks bad to me. I have a lot of upper gaps of various sizes all done by design and the worst part is the flaring. I'll check out the underside of the arch. My lips are chapped more now and the top lip doesn't quite rest comfortably anymore. I feel like snaggletooth. This is all really working on fixing the bite which seems to be going well. Honestly, it looks horrible when I laugh so now I am walking around with an unhappy expression and not wanting to laugh. Nice huh? I haven't even gotten to the gap that will occur between the front teeth. This is so depressing. :(

I'm getting another archwire so maybe that will help.

I looked at the arch and it looks slightly flared. When you look at my teeth from the side the flare is very obvious. You can also see the flare head on. It looks like at least 4 teeth are flared forward, even with the gaps. It's not just two front teeth sort of the whole arch sits forward now. Ugh!

Chris

#44 Post by Chris »

Can you post a photo, Fins?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

cb797

Can't Chew--Am I Crazy?

#45 Post by cb797 »

I got braces on my bottom teeth three days ago to straighten the front four teeth (I'm planning to get invisalign on the top to push my front teeth out a bit, apparently my top teeth cover too much of my bottom teeth--is that a "deep bite"?)

I asked the orthodontist if the braces would get in the way of my top teeth and she said it would be fine. But I literally can't chew anything, my molars are about 1/8 of an inch apart. I've tried to get used to it (they aren't at all painful), but it's really awful--I can't eat anything that isn't pureed. The ortho told me to just get used to it for 18-20 months-just cut things up really small.

I'm really considering having these taken off--am I overreacting?