How many times a day do I need to change my elastics?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sparkles61785

How many times a day do I need to change my elastics?

#1 Post by Sparkles61785 »

I had two teeth extracted and my ortho put in two 3/16" elastics. But he didn't tell me how many times to change it or what to do...he just gave me two bags of rubberbands. How often am I supposed to change it a day, and can I eat and brush with them on (that's what I've been doing for 10 weeks)? :?:
[/url]

lilsisbet

#2 Post by lilsisbet »

Not the Dr... but the instructions I received from my Ortho were to take the elastics out when brushing and eating and if nothing else.. to make sure I put new elastics on before I go to bed. Other than taking the elastics out for brushing and eating, I am to wear them 24/7. I tend to put new elastics on when I go to bed, after I brush my teeth in the morning and whenever they look like they are going to snap.

Hope that helps.
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

missingu

#3 Post by missingu »

Probably should call the ortho's office, because I have heard people changing from one to four times a day so the ortho may have something in mind for you. Better safe than sorry on this one, since elastics are pretty important I hear.

kirst1583

#4 Post by kirst1583 »

I agree with missingu that it's best to call and check. Many people on this forum have said they were told to take the elastics out to eat but I've always been instructed to leave mine on.
I'm supposed to change the elastics at least once a day. I change them every time I eat and brush though. The thought of putting them back in is just disgusting for me.
Things can differ heaps depending on your ortho, so best to get it right and not delay your treatment.
Good luck! :wink:

Sparkles61785

Thank you

#5 Post by Sparkles61785 »

I called my Orthodontist and he said to change it once every morning, and that I can eat and brush with them on. :)
[/url]

fins

#6 Post by fins »

Sparkles- I eat with mine on too and I have also brushed without taking the elastic off. I always use a fresh elastic in the morning and often I change it at night but it's on 24/7. I saw a lot of movement within a short period of time with the elastic.

adollface

#7 Post by adollface »

I leave mine in when I eat but change them as soon as I finish a meal. My ortho said to change them at least 3 times a day. I also change them when they look or feel like they are about to break.

Amy
Damon 2's top and bottom
braced 12-16-04