Important Information re: Tooth Extractions and Osteoporosis

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wire Weary

Important Information re: Tooth Extractions and Osteoporosis

#1 Post by Wire Weary »

It is very important that you talk to your dentist, orthodontist and/or primary care physician if you are taking Fosamax (which I do, 70mg 1xwk) or any of the bisphosphonates and need to have a tooth extraction, implant, etc. There is evidence that folks taking these drugs could be at signicant risk for a serious jaw disease (osteonecrosis -- You can do a Google search and find more info.) I was to have 4 teeth extracted as part of the plan for straightening my teeth, but the dentist who was to do the extractions had just learned of the research so the decision was made not to proceed. Three of the 4 teeth have moved into position. One is a real problem and now my orthodontist is researching what the next step will be. It is discouraging and I have been considering having the braces removed. (It was the awkward position of that 4th tooth that made me decide to get braces in the first place.)

The problem seems to be much more significant among those receiving high doses of the bisphosphonates intravenously as an adjunct treatment for cancer. But they are being watchful.

If anyone knows more about this, please post info and updates!