Nance and tooth extractions

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

presencia

Nance and tooth extractions

#1 Post by presencia »

I am a 53 year old grandma, I have had my braces just 2 months. My next appt is not till the second week of May. I have all ceramics, with a nance. I anticipate elastics, but haven't been given them yet. The overall experience has been good so far,except for 2 things. I have two questions.

The first is that the nance has begun cutting my tongue, especially as it seems the banded molars have shifted position slightly. I try to keep wax on the wire, but it is always coming off. I was wondering if there was any type of bumper or something that could be placed over the wires to blunt the impact on my tongue? Does such a thing exist?

The other question may make the above question a moot point. Last week I had a molar extracted on the upper left (#15 in dental-speak, dont know how it is designated by the orthos). It was painful, even after a root canal and crown. It was determined to be cracked, and had to be removes. The problem is the tooth in front of this newly created space, which is the one the nance is banded to. It has been sore all along, and is getting increasingly worse. It has a crown, due to a large older filling being redone, but not a root canal. The oral surgeon I went to for the extracton thinks this tooth is cracked as well.

I never notice the banded tooth for the nance on the other side, other than the tongue problem I mentioned above. So, I am not being a baby about the nance. I was mostly OK with it until the tongue problem started. That tooth is not uncomfortable at all. The queston is - what will hold the nance in place if this tooth also has to be removed also?

I am never w/o pain, even w/o chewing, so I am approaching the point of decision making sooner rather than later. I think the nance is important to my treatment because I have some crowding issues, but every swallow causes pain in the tooth because the nance is moving it slightly.

Any advice about how to talk to my ortho would be good as well, as he told me the slice in my tongue was just a natural groove. He did not see it the next day when I was halfway across the country on a trip and it started bleeding, and I had to find an ortho who would see me. (That ortho is the one who showed me how to put wax on the wire.)

I understand that I will experience the "ordinary" discomforts of braces, and I was prepared for that. I just don't think I can deal with full-blown pain all day every day for the next two years. I need some advice.

Dark_angel

#2 Post by Dark_angel »

Your own ortho has a duty of care. By looking up the function of a nance The Nance appliance serves to stabilize the back teeth while we are going through a phase of treatment involving the movement of specific teeth. its purpouse seems very similar to that which my headgear provides. To keep my back molars in place while my other teeth are being moved around. Maybe this would be one suggestion as it can be removed, does not affect the tounge.

You need to make an appointment to see your ortho as soon as possible so they can chat things through with you and take a look at your mouth.

fins

#3 Post by fins »

Sorry to hear about your problem with the nance. I would explain to the ortho that the nance is cutting your tongue. I never had that problem but I did have another with my nance (too much pressure on the palate as time went on). I thought I was going to have my nance for the entire treatment but that was not the case so maybe you will only be wearing the nance for a short time. That would be something else to check on with your ortho.

I did notice my molars were tender a lot but I can't really advise you on crown although they can be banded and do hold up but I don't know about attaching a nance to a crown. Good luck.