Reposting, never got a reply

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chaim9778

Reposting, never got a reply

#1 Post by Chaim9778 »

I am reposting this I never got a response the first time...

The first question I have is regarding a band on my upper right second molar. It popped off and my ortho made the decision to leave it off. I only have at most 12 weeks before the top braces are removed, so I'm guessing he did this since it would have been kind of pointless to have to glue it back on with so little time left.
Secondly, I have seen my ortho three times in the last 2 months. He hasn't really ever asked me to bite down so he can see the alignment, if he had he would see that my midline is off. I can't tell if it's off on the top or the bottom. I had been wearing power chains on top and bottom forever, I had to switch orthos a month ago (mine moved his practice out of state) and this one recommended I not wear any and see how it progresses. I know the last time I had them on the top teeth had a power chain on the right side all of the way back from my front teeth (I can't remember if it was both upper centrals or just the upper right central) to the band. On the left just the individual teeth had individual ligatures on each tooth, no chains. He explained that he did this since my upper left central was still uneven and the bend in the wire would bring it down to be even with the upper right central. I'm thinking this is what made the midline off?
The second question is about my bottom teeth. Is it common for the top braces to be removed and the bottom still remain on? My new ortho said that this is probably what will take place since my bottoms still have a ways to go. Like I previously stated I had been wearing power chains. I wore them for so long on the bottom, that they rotated my lower right and left first molars, my chains didn't go all the way back to my second molars for whatever reason. The new ortho want to correct this and said it may take some time. On my last visit, the 14th of this month, he left extra wire on each side sticking out of the bands and instead of cutting it made a curl with the pliers out of the leftover wire. I don't know if this was to put more pressure on the molars that need rotated or what? I am now noticing that my lower left lateral and lower left central are bumping each other and becoming crowded again. Is this normal? I don't want to call to go in and be a pain if it is something that will take little time to correct on my next visit which is 8/18. I also think that if he would slenderize my lower right and left lateral and centrals that they would fit together perfectly. I mentioned this to him and he said, "We'll see". I would send pics, but I have no idea how to load them. Thanks

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

Hi Chaim :) I can't answer all of your questions (sorry!), but as to the braces being left on the bottom arch, I've known several people with that same situation, and it would probably be just fine. And also, I'm thinking (this is just my personal opinion) that it's probably your top arch that is 'incorrect' in your midline, just because I've never heard of a lower arch being moved lol. Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

Chaim9778

thanks

#3 Post by Chaim9778 »

I appreciate your reply. I just went for an appointment on the 18th of last week. I got a power chain on the top to correct a small gap that was developing, and more bends in the lower wire. I also had four lower teeth filed manually. Total nightmare, and one of the worst experiences I have ever had in my whole life. I literally thought a tooth was going to rip out!!! The ortho said that the midline may stay off and that if it is only off due to cosmetic reasons then it will remain that way. The important thing is the bite being correct. Thanks for responding.

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Dr. Randall will get to your post, I'm sure. Just be patient. He's pretty busy at the moment.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Julia

#5 Post by Julia »

BTT for Chaim.
Julia
Metal Mouth since August 4, 2004