Normal for gums to bleed when brushing with braces?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

altinure

Normal for gums to bleed when brushing with braces?

#1 Post by altinure »

I know that when your gums bleed when you brush that usually means you have a gum disease. However, I've never had this problem until my last adjustment. I was given a new thicker wire and also those rubber bands in the figure eight shape that connect to two of my teeth to close gaps. This just started recently, and I've never had a past history of gum disease or anything. I use listerine twice daily and brush twice daily.

Is it normal that the movement of teeth from braces can cause your gums to be weaker and bleed more when you brush? Is this normal?

Thanks.

nahky
Location: Australia, , braced on 8 MAR '05 - Debraced: 28th FEB '07

#2 Post by nahky »

maybe you had a minor infection. maybe it was a bit of food stuck in your teeth and braces that caused it to bleed. and u could ahve brushed and cleaned it away.
Nahhs, Jaw Surgery 'n all<
Progress Pictures on Pages 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, 13 Debracing/Teeth Whitening Pictures on Pg 16

Lower JAW Surgery: May 2006 Debraced: March 2007

Evelyn

#3 Post by Evelyn »

Sometimes my gums bleed, I think it's just that they are under a lot of stress from the movement of the teeth and they are kind of stretched thin...at least that's what I've always hoped. I think also when you try to get between your braces and the gums it's hard to brush it without brushing your gums as well so that may lead to bleeding

Eve
Braced September 9, 2002
Debanding: JULY 5!!!!!!!!

Chocoholic

#4 Post by Chocoholic »

I agree with Eve, I think when we have braces, sometimes we can brush a little too hard to clean them, plus I sometimes floss a bit too hard and this causes my gum to bleed if it's a bit tender.

johnnys_angel

#5 Post by johnnys_angel »

I agree with all of you. I remember one of my ortho's assistants telling me that if you gums bleed, brush them harder, to get rid of any infection...I thought that was kind of weird but then again maybe it would help!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

braceface1230

#6 Post by braceface1230 »

My gums bled before I had braces applied. So my dentist had to do periodontal scraping of the teeth up under the gums... cuz there was some infection (even though I brushed at least twice a day and mouthwashed). I'd recommend making an appointment to have your teeth cleaned.

Chris

#7 Post by Chris »

I always found that swishing with warm salt water is good for bleeding gums. Make sure you floss regularly, and get dental cleanings more frequently during your ortho treatment.

You DO Have a SOFT bristle toothbrush, dont you? :wink:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007