110% overbite??

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gigabite

110% overbite??

#1 Post by Gigabite »

Hello all,
I recently received the details of my treatment plan from my ortho and he wrote that I have a 110% overbite (complete). It sounds quite scary... is this kind of thing unusual?
My problems stem from some dodgy orthodontic work (extraction of 4 premolars and a retainer) when I was a teenager.

I decided to get braces this time mainly for cosmetic reasons as my top and bottom incisors both angle inwards. Are there any complications arising from a very deep bite and would it have worsened if I had left it alone?
So far, I've only had minor problems with my lower incisors touching the gum behind my top teeth.

I'd love to hear from anyone in the know or anyone with a similar diagnosis.
Damon 3 braces

David

#2 Post by David »

I had a similar problem, with the same cause as yours. I had four premolars extracted and a retainer at about age 9.

It was a common practice here in New Zealand when I was a kid. Just wondering if you are of similar age to me.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss off line.

Gigabite

#3 Post by Gigabite »

Thanks for your reply, David.
I'm actually an Aussie (sorry!) :)

I'm 29 and my previous orthodontic treatment was just over 16 years ago. I think that my family had financial constraints at the time and couldn't afford full braces.
My current ortho explained that my front teeth had slipped back after the premolars were removed and that had messed up my bite.

The experience at my first ortho was so traumatic that I didn't set foot in a dental surgery for ten years!

Anyway, hope your treatment is going well...
Damon 3 braces

David

#4 Post by David »

Sorry, I misread one of your other posts. :oops: I'll forgive you for being an Aussie. :lol:

I've got 20+ years on you. Back in the 60's it was very common here. They used a method of serial extraction of baby teeth and then removal of four permanent premolars. The only thing they used to guide them into place was an upper retainer.

Having said that, my treatment then was done by a dentist, not an orthodontist. Something to do with parents who didn't understand such things :roll: