Deep Bite..Can't Chew

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chris

Deep Bite..Can't Chew

#1 Post by Chris »

Ok, I've got to ask this question cuz I'm getting more nervous every day.

I started out with a deep bite and my front teeth caved inwards. No teeth pulled prior to braces. My front teeth were braced 4 months prior to the bottom. Right now (15 months of braces on top) it seems I'm having more trouble chewing because my front teeth are way ahead of the bottom front and it seems like my bite is more open in the back. There is a feeling of such a gap behind my front teeth.

Is this a common side effect for some patients when they are opening the front and will it improve greatly once the elastics come into play to bring the molars together? He still needs to straighten the bottom front teeth a little more. I am hoping after they are straight that the bottoms will come out more to meet the tops or that the tops will come back alittle with "chain" work. Right now my bite feels awful. :cry: :cry:

I'm am so depressed right now.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

dr.j

bite changes

#2 Post by dr.j »

1st of all no need to be depressed you have not been diagnosed with anything horrible. You probably have a class 2 deepbite malocclusion. Step 1 (whether surgery or not) is the conversion of the deep bite to an increased overjet (i.e. buck teeth) Once your lower teeth are aligned and the wire sizes appropariate, then elastics can be started to get the teeth togther. This is all just spec. based on what you've written. Elastics will help your bite most likely.

Dr.J :lol:
Dr.J - Ortho

leah

To Chris

#3 Post by leah »

Hi, Chris,
I'm kindof in the same boat as you, I had a deep bite about 75% at the start so my Ortho flared or bucked out my top front teeth about 6 mm's. Now in the process of pushing them back and since my last appt. the tops are more back than my bottoms so the only teeth that meet at my fronts and it is HORRIBLE. I have been wearing elastics for about 3 months and it has really helped my bite until now. but what I was wondering is how often to you have adjustments? I go every 3 weeks and I know sometimes faster is not better but in my case it seem to be working. My midline is a bit off, but my overjet "flaring" is gone, Maybe you Ortho could schedule you appts closer togther. Something you might want to talk to him/her about.
Best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

Chris

Re: bite changes

#4 Post by Chris »

dr.j wrote:Step 1 (whether surgery or not) is the conversion of the deep bite to an increased overjet (i.e. buck teeth) :
Well, "buck teeth" is a good description of what I feel right now. :cry:
When I look in the mirror it LOOKS fine and normal but it feels AWFUL chewing.

I'm not going any surgery route and I realize deep bites can only be corrected to some degree without it. I just want to be able to eat properly after this is all done.

I've developed a tongue thrusting habit because of this overjet situation which worries me. Its like my tongue doesn't feel comfortable in any situation. It wants to push up against the front teeth but then it lies on top of the bottom teeth. If and when the bottom teeth come out more I suppose it will feel more comfortable.Image I'm sorry but I can't help feeling depressed right now.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

Re: To Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

leah wrote:Hi, Chris,
I'm kindof in the same boat as you, I had a deep bite about 75% at the start so my Ortho flared or bucked out my top front teeth about 6 mm's. Now in the process of pushing them back and since my last appt. the tops are more back than my bottoms so the only teeth that meet at my fronts and it is HORRIBLE. I have been wearing elastics for about 3 months and it has really helped my bite until now.
I appreciate your input, Leah! Sure does seem strange that they have to flare them out and then push them in again. :roll: I just thought at this stage (15 months) that I would be closer to the ideal bite not worse. I know, I know, I keep waiting for that #$%@ elastic stage. I wore 1 elastic so far to stop a tooth from hitting a bottom one and it worked in 3 weeks so I know that elastics work quickly. I say "lets get the ball rolling, docs". But my bottom teeth are moving at a snails pace. I can tell when I go in every 4 weeks that the doc is discouraged too that they aren't moving as quick as the tops did.

You know this is alot like the 8th month of pregnancy; you can't wait till its over. You are so excited at the beginning and by the 8th month you want someone to just pull the kid out! :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Clo

#6 Post by Clo »

Hi Chris,

my issues are of a whole other nature, but I know the feeling of having a
bad bite after such a long time. I experience now the same. I have now
braces for 18 months. My teeth look a lot better, that is true. But my bite
is now worse than ever. And maybe you know my case a bit. I am the
elastics king around here. I now have eleven, 11 !!!, elastics of the most
heaviest kind. Can only open my mouth half an inch when I put new
ones in. And again I feel my bite getting worse. Ahhh sorry, I am just
complaining too. That doesn't help you, does it. Only want to tell you this.
You are not alone. Secondly, we have to be patient. Our bones are more
dense than the 'soft butter'-ish bones of young teens. It just takes more
time. And thirdly, I am sure one day we will experience improvements.
Yes, one day our braces will win this orthodontic battle ...
Best of luck !!!

Geri

#7 Post by Geri »

Chris - just wanted to say that our cases sound very similar - you are not alone and you are much, much further along the treatment road than me so that's something to be glad about! :D

I have a very deep bite and my front teeth curved inwards. You can see pics on my blog at http://tendybooth.blogspot.com/. My first month of upper braces has pushed my front teeth outward (to a slight overjet) and it feels very odd but not uncomfortable. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such chewing problems. I am getting bottom braces tomorrow morning, with cement on my back molars (I believe) to stop me biting the bottom brackets off, and am anticipating some chewing issues of my own. :roll: I have to say that I am very interested in exactly how my deep bite will be corrected as I am still unsure of the process despite all my research. As I understand it, the upper teeth are flared out, then pulled back again (and up?) with elastics. Won't this make them look smaller? Can you provide any clarification Dr J?
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe
Upper ceramics: 3 Oct 2005, Lower metals: 1 Nov 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces remove: April 4, 2007!

Chris

#8 Post by Chris »

Yes, Clo, I DO remember you as Elastic King! Thanks for you input.
Are your elastics making some progress in closing the back bite?

Geri, your teeth do look similar, indenture wise, to what I had in the beginning, although I had a few rotated teeth, one behind and one in front of some teeth. Did you have any teeth extractions? Since you are just starting out, keep me posted on your progress. When mine started going outwards it was really scary like I couldn't close my mouth comfortably...but eventually your mouth gets use to the fuller feeling. Plus my bottom braces did not go on until 4 months later, so there is alot of catching up to do and my bottoms are just not moving quick enough.

I don't remember the ortho telling me that they would flare outwards, then back and UP, Geri. He did say they would come back a bit from the flaring. I just don't understand the mechanics of the elastics. I mean the teeth aren't really moving downwards with them, are they Dr J?
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Clo

#9 Post by Clo »

Well ... eleven elastics pulling things together in the back ...
It works a bit till now. But I only had this elastics combination for about
8 days. But what scares me that it is ruining my anterior (front) bite
completely. I again have an open bite and some significant overjet.
I realise you have a bad time too, so I hope my words do not make you
feel any worse. But I feel my ortho is sort of giving up, or at least be less
ambitious. Each time I go for an adjustment, I hear another thing that will
not be fully correctable. No, I won't be able to correct fully your class 2
bite. No, I will not be able to completely close your open bite. At least
your molars will close enough ... one day. But these will not be aligned
very well too ... Arrrrggghh, maybe this is not the best time for me too
to evaluate my braces experience so far. Yes, I feel down too, maybe
you can tell ...

Geri

#10 Post by Geri »

Ohh Clo - sorry to hear you are feeling down....this braces thing is a rollercoaster ride for sure, with all the ups and downs, but we just need to hang on in there and it will get better. I've often heard here that things need to get worse before they can get better and I guess this what we are going through right now.

Chris - I had extractions as a teenager (I am 34 now) and don't need any more thankfully. I will keep you posted on my progress. I had the bottom braces put on today. Not much pain but now NONE of my teeth meet. :cry: But it should only be for a month or so apparently, although I reserve the right to whinge n vent if I really feel the need :D

Geri

#11 Post by Geri »

I felt I should clarify that "none of my teeth meet' statement....what happens is that the backs of my top teeth touch the bottom brackets and my molars are way, way apart (at least it feels that way). Good job I know about what mushy foods to eat and what to expect from reading posts here - I said it before, I am soooo grateful this forum exists - there is no-one that I know who wears braces who I could talk to otherwise.

Chris

#12 Post by Chris »

Geri wrote:the backs of my top teeth touch the bottom brackets and my molars are way, way apart (at least it feels that way)..
Thats where I am and my bottom braces have been on for one year now. Tops longer.
Top Braces June 2004
Debanded January 2007

Retrogirl82

Re: bite changes

#13 Post by Retrogirl82 »

Chris wrote:
dr.j wrote:Step 1 (whether surgery or not) is the conversion of the deep bite to an increased overjet (i.e. buck teeth) :

I've developed a tongue thrusting habit because of this overjet situation which worries me. Its like my tongue doesn't feel comfortable in any situation. It wants to push up against the front teeth but then it lies on top of the bottom teeth. If and when the bottom teeth come out more I suppose it will feel more comfortable.Image I'm sorry but I can't help feeling depressed right now.
Oh my god, Chris, that's what's been happening to me too! I have NEVER had this problem before in my life and now my tongue is all uncomfortable. Sometimes I wake up and my tongue is protruding between my teeth. Why is this happening, Dr. J?
I'm gonna marry Jake Gyllenhaal...he just doesn't know it yet ;) :)

Geri

#14 Post by Geri »

Chirs, I didn't realise this was where you are! I thought it was more of an overjet problem that you had rather than a total lack of chewing ability. You have had this for a year or so? Yikes! Well, we are certainly in the same boat and I can sympathise deeply. I was so down about it last night. Then I decided to be cheerful and make 'stuff' (what I call tuna and mashed potato fried up with some cheese - mmmm) because I can't be positive on an empty stomach. LOL. Well, it worked for a short while but later on I was feeling down about it again (and so posted a thread about it on the main board because I didn't realise we were talking about quite the same problem as I said earlier). Seems like some people only have to go through this stage of the treatment for 10 days or so and others for longer. Just the luck of the draw I guess. :? Well, the news that I am holding onto is that it DOES get better eventually and in the meantime I aim to keep as busy as possible in order not to dwell on it and to make delicious food that I can eat. I printed out all the info I could find on soft food and am going to go shopping today to stock up!

I'd talk over your concerns/feelings with your ortho who will hopefully be able to provide some reassurance. I hope you get some good news. Best of luck and keep us posted.

fins

#15 Post by fins »

Isn't is lovely that you need "buck teeth" :shock: before the deep bite correction? If I had known that I might not have gotten rebraced. Thankfully I don't see a huge overjet but I think mine have flared out also.

If it helps any, I have a constantly changing bite. Sometimes it feels much better and then it changes and can be quite awful. It has been this way from the start of treatment. You can't imagine how I have learned to "adapt" to the strange bites. At one point I had metal bars across the surface of my teeth. Right now I am eating more soft foods and I have to grind my meat with the food processor. Sad. :yuck:
fins