Removal of bonding?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maddiesmom

Removal of bonding?

#1 Post by maddiesmom »

I've had bonding (years ago) on some teeth to 1) fill a gap between my two front teeth 2)lengthen some teeth that weren't long enough.

Shortly after I got braces, bonding on one tooth (next to my two big teeth) chipped and the ortho filed it down so it would be smooth but the tooth was noticeably shorter again than the rest of my teeth. At my last visit I asked if the tooth could be 'pulled down' to be in line with the other teeth and he said it could, he adjusted my wire and literally days later my tooth is almost exactly in line with the others. I am THRILLED! :)

Going forward, what is the procedure for handling the bonding that exists on my other teeth? I would think the ortho would want to remove it so that he's working with natural teeth instead of bonding material. Am I right? The reason I ask is that he's made no mention of removing bonding. In fact, he says that will come at 'the end' if at all and points out that the bonding on a few other teeth actually looks pretty good.

I really like him but I think there may be a communication problem here. I ask about removing bonding and he says he likes, for instance, the length it has made my other tooth (next to my two big teeth)... but now that I've seen what the chipping inadvertently did (allowed me to have more of my normal tooth present) I want him to remove the bonding (maybe one tooth at a time? What is recommended??) on my other teeth and move them accordingly. Bottom line: I want as little bonding material on my teeth as I can. I'm going to great lengths (via braces) to get the smile I want and I don't want to come to the end and be left with bonding.
Not only does it chip but it discolors and prevents those parts of your teeth from becoming their whitest. I think of my end result in 9 months (or less) and I want my REAL teeth that I can whiten and rely on!

Doctors... what are your thoughts? Can he/should he look at my xray (or can you tell where the bonding is just by eyeballing it?) and remove some bonding material so he can work with my real teeth? I don't want to step on any toes here so please let me know what you think and how to approach him if I should...
Emily
Mom of 2 girls!
Braced since 1/19/05

maddiesmom

#2 Post by maddiesmom »

Doctors? I'm still waiting for a reply...

Thanks! :)
Emily
Mom of 2 girls!
Braced since 1/19/05