Brittle teeth worth straightening?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Brittle teeth worth straightening?

#1 Post by genxsis »

Dear Doc:

I'm now on the home stretch toward getting braces, but new questions arise around every corner. At my last consult with my ortho, I was told that I'll need to get all dental work (fillings, etc.) done before the braces go on. Now there's a problem with that:

I seem to keep needing fillings all the time because decalcification and cavities keep coming up no matter how well I brush. But when braces are on, it's only going to be alot harder to keep my teeth clean, thus increasing the chances of getting cavities. So if I'm getting them now when it's easier to brush, how much more when I have braces? And then I can't even get them worked on til the braces come off??? That will be 2.5 years! Cavities can get pretty bad by then, and I fear that by that time, my teeth will have gotten so bad that it won't matter that they're straight, 'cuz they'd be in such bad shape BECAUSE of the braces making it hard to keep them clean.

My brother had braces 30 years ago, and since had his teeth pulled because they were brittle. My mom is in her 60s and having the same problem, as is my dad. I'm afraid to go through all this trouble and expense of braces only for them to CAUSE more problems later.

So, with all that in mind, should I get braces, or just forget about it? The main reason for them is overcrowding, and a couple overlapping teeth.

genxsis

#2 Post by genxsis »

Lucyloop:

A whole hour?!?! I don't know how you manage that every single day! Makes it sound like the rest of us have it pretty good! :wink:

I'm glad to hear that it would be Ok to have fillings done once my braces are on. I didn't want to get the braces, then discover 6 months later that I have another cavity, and be told I have to let it go for another 2 years! That would be the pits! And who knows how many could spring up over that time when brushing well with braces is so much harder. :cry: