Appliances used for Overbites

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BlueeyedManda

Appliances used for Overbites

#1 Post by BlueeyedManda »

Hey Everyone,
I am hoping someone might be able to help me out. I am going to go ahead and fix my bottom teeth (I started out with just top braces for alignment purposes). I am now more finacially able to go for the whole mouth.
I have a slight overbite, not very big but it is there.
I have two options to fix it. I can extract two of my lower teeth or I can have an appliance on the roof of my mouth for about 6 months which will move my teeth back. I want to say the name of the appliance starts with a B but I am not sure. I have tried searching through this website as well as a whole internet search but I am not coming up with much. My question is what is this appliance called and what might it look like. I am assuming it is something that would get wired into the braces somehow, since it was never mentioned to remove them.
My next appointment is Dec 6th so I would like to make my mind up by then, I am not too keen on extracting but if it would be a better route than I will go that way. I know it will take 1-1 1/2 years. So I go want to start the process.
So, if anyone has had this appliance or even know what it is called that would help me out so much.
Thanks Everyone!

BlueeyedManda

#2 Post by BlueeyedManda »

I am not sure, it was explained as more of a plate than the pictures you showed in your reply. I will have all my teeth on top so there wouldn't be any gaps.
The extractions would be on the bottom if I decided to go that route. Which I may if it would mean easier and a little faster. I just got 4 wisdom teeth out in May. So I am not sure I want to journey down that again, and my experience wasn't all that bad.
Thanks for your help though. You're wonderful!

ThatsMrsGeek2U

#3 Post by ThatsMrsGeek2U »

There are probably lots of different appliances they use for this, but I had a sagittal appliance for moving my top teeth back. Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=50566&highlight=#50566

summergirl

#4 Post by summergirl »

maybe it is a Pendulum expander ? They are a pain if this is the one you are having installed do your self a big favor .Have a nice big meal the night befor eat breakfast a big one because after it is on you can't talk well for about a good week .Mine has been on since Last monday so 8 days still not speaking that great.You can only eat very very soft food and that must be cut into tiny pieces .Sorry I don't mean to scare you but I do want to give you the facts .I think this is the WORST of a appliances.The only good thing about it is this is 70% of my treatment.Let me know if this is the one.
Summergirl :?