Implant #19 now or later?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mplsgirl

Implant #19 now or later?

#1 Post by mplsgirl »

Hi Docs,

I searched for the answer to my question but didn't find it...Anyway, I am nearing the end of my treatment (done in March/April) and am missing a molar (#19). My oral surgeon said he can do it now, but it will require a delay in my orthodontic treatment by 4-5 months because he doesn't want any movement while he's doing the bone graft/implant. This would mean, obviously, that I wouldn't get my braces off in March or April. My other option is waiting until my braces are off. I was worried about not closing up any extra space in this case, but he says he'll pick an implant large enough to fill the gap.
My orthodontist said it's up to me what I want to do. Do you see any benefit over waiting or not? I just want my braces off!! But not if it will be detrimental in some way.

Thanks.
Ceramic on top since 10/12/2004
Metal on bottom since 1/19/2005

altinure

#2 Post by altinure »

my ortho isn't giving me a choice. i won't get my implant until i'm completely done wearing my retainer. my retainer will just have a fake tooth attached so that i won't have a gap in my smile.

momof2grlz

#3 Post by momof2grlz »

My ortho said to have my implant (same tooth as yours I think) done after my ortho treatment is finished. My dentist says to have the consult for the implant before my braces come off because the prosthodontist (sp?) may have instructions for the ortho about aligning the roots of the adjacent teeth. Not sure who to listen to. I heard my ortho talking to another patient the other day about moving teeth 1/2 millimeter for implants and how difficult it is and sometimes it messes up the alignment he's achieved. I think he doesn't want to be directed by the implant guy.

Chris
Top Ceramics: 10/11/04; Bottom Ceramics: 02/16/05 DEBANDED: 05/03/07

Betty Bat

#4 Post by Betty Bat »

I was told by my implant guy (don't know what his official title is!) that work on the implants could begin three months before the end of the braces. My ortho confirmed this and will let me know when to contact the implant guy. It's supposed to take a while between the time that the implant thingy is put in and the time that the tooth goes on.

But like everything else in life and orthodontics, the answer is "it depends". This follows one of my three rules for life: "Everything is harder than it should be".

Chris

#5 Post by Chris »

I have to wait until after my braces are taken off to get my 2 molar implants. I was hoping I could get the anchors in now so when the braces come off I could get the crowns. Ortho says wait. :-((
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

Betty Bat wrote: This follows one of my three rules for life: "Everything is harder than it should be".
Boy, isn't THAT the truth !!!!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007