Please take a look at my teeth... I'm very worried...

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Will

Please take a look at my teeth... I'm very worried...

#1 Post by Will »

Will braces correct my overbite? I have had my braces on for 1 month and haven't seen much change yet... should i be concerned?

Is my overbite really bad? Do I have a serious case of overbite? Is my overbite fixable with braces? I'm afraid braces won't correct my overbite.

I'm wearing an upper and lower expander in order to create space.. but do the expanders correct the overbite? I fear that the expanders worsen my overbite since it may be pushing my lower teeth backwards. Is this true?

Also, when do i start wearing the rubber bands? Is it too soon to be wearing them after 1 month of treatment? Thank you very much, please look at these pictures:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/ ... f03/x4.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/ ... f03/x1.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/ ... f03/x2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/ ... f03/x3.jpg

Thank you so very much if you help me. :)
Braces On: 11/1/05
Braces Off: ???

alexa

#2 Post by alexa »

Considering that your ticker says you don't get your braces off for 20 months, I think you're going to have to show some patience. LOTS of people don't really see any drastic changes until a couple of months of braces...maybe even more if they didn't have very dramatic problems.

Don't worry...they'll move, promise! ;)

I got elastics at my first adjustment and have been wearing them ever since (8 months)...but patients get elastics at different times for different things.
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

April

#3 Post by April »

I have to agree with Alexa here. I have a pretty moderate overbite and I haven't noticed any changes in the overbite and I've had my braces on for 6 months. Its no big deal though, i know my braces aren't coming off until everything is fixed! My orthodontist says he can fix my overbite and so that's that. You need to trust in what your orthodonist says. Think of the money you are spending.

Take is easy and enjoy the ride.. 20 months is a long time! Good luck to you and remember there are so many people on this website that are in the same situation as you are. :wink:
APRIL
Damon 3's on top, Damon 2's on bottom
braced May 18, 2005

dr.j

oh boy

#4 Post by dr.j »

I totally concur with Alexa - give the doc a chance. I would not get stressed one month into braces. For your doc's sake - give the brother a break! Really, you'll be fine. Your post just seemed like you were in mild freak mode so really just hang back and allow 6-8 months to go by. No changes for the better by then: maybe worry.. ..today, be happy!

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

I want to also jump in and say that in my experience, first some of the teeth began getting straighter. Then after about 5 months the bite began to change and improve. For me, the elastics came later (after a year) but everyone is different. I agree that you have to give it time, 6 months minimum.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Will

#6 Post by Will »

Thanks for the help

BUT, do you think my overbite is correctable with braces? Do I have a severe case of overbite?

Caralyn03

#7 Post by Caralyn03 »

i notice changes a couple days after i got braces

dr.j

#8 Post by dr.j »

I think you have a moderate class II malocclusion where the teeth fit improperly yeilding overbite. Braces help but youll need elastics or headgear or extractions or surgery or something to fix this. Braces alone just arrange teeth and get them straight.,

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho

Chris

#9 Post by Chris »

dr.j wrote:I think you have a moderate class II malocclusion where the teeth fit improperly yeilding overbite. Braces help but youll need elastics or headgear or extractions or surgery or something to fix this. Braces alone just arrange teeth and get them straight.,

dr.j
Dr J...it looks like he has quite a bit of OverJET...can that be fixed with elastics? How exactly is that done? Probability of relapse afterwards?
And can the teeth be put in alignment to the bottom? I have misaligned tops and bottoms, particularly on one side like Will has where the teeth are centered on top of each other rather than in between. I thought only extractions could fix it.

Just curious...don't worry, Will. :wink:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

nvcarissa

#10 Post by nvcarissa »

If surgery had been required, wouldn't his orthodontist have told him so before beginning treatment? My ortho wouldn't even brace me until I had seen the oral surgeon and (A) agreed to the surgery and (B) gotten the surgery pre-authorized by my insurance.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

Will

#11 Post by Will »

Well right now I have expanders for both the top and bottom teeth.

My orthodontist said i wouldn't need extractions or surgery....

but you're making me kinda worried dr.j

can expanders + rubber bands correct my overbite or whatever i have? :?

dr.j

rubber bands

#12 Post by dr.j »

From research and experience: expanders are fairly unstable on adults unless surgery is involved. Also, elastics are used for minor discrepancies - the bite can relapse pretty good at times here.

A famous orthodontist named Dr. Proffit (funny name !) once was quoted in his text "if the orthodontist finds himself pulling elastics ona patient for months and months the doctor my need to revisit his initial diagnosis. It is rarely good treatment to correct a malocclusion by elastics alone"

Not second guessing your doc - but look up class 2 malocclusions on Google then compare your pics.

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho

Chris

#13 Post by Chris »

Meryaten wrote: So-o-o-o-o-o, I decided I am going to take the plunge and get this right - surgery it is. .
I know that was a really tough decision to make, may I just say I hope that everything turns out well for you! Nobody likes to go for surgery but sometimes you just have to take that chance if you can't live with the current situation. Let us know the outcome.

All the best, Mary!!
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

Norelly

#14 Post by Norelly »

I started my treatment with a 4mm overjet 2mm overbite and is being corrected with elastics and headgear, it seems like elastics itself don't do much the trick.

payoki

I'm being treated without any extraction because of my TMJ

#15 Post by payoki »

so does that mean I will not achieve the result I want if my ortho is using only the elastics?
mother of one.