Hard lump on gum. Concerned about what it is

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mike_otago

Hard lump on gum. Concerned about what it is

#1 Post by mike_otago »

Hi

I have a hard lump on my gum about 1cm round and a sticks out a couple of mm. Im wondering what it is. I have had braces for 2 years and noone has mentioned it, Im pretty sure it has been there for a long time but it seems larger than before. My next appt is 19 dec. Just wondering what it could be??

I will post a picture some time tomorrow.

Thanks

johnnys_angel

#2 Post by johnnys_angel »

I am definitely not a professional, but I'll just add my opinion :D. Perhaps it's a tooth? My cousin, who was twenty-three at the time, suddenly got another tooth that the dentist thought had never formed. If nobody has said anything, maybe it's not a big deal. I would personally just call and ask to make sure. Good luck!
Damon 2's top and bottom, BRACED 02/22/04 and REMOVED 08/29/05. Now in bonded retainers (top and bottom) :4 wisdom teeth surgically removed on 12/22/05:

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Is this lump on the top or the side of the gum? I have a couple lumps on the side (tounge side) that my dentist says is bone that shifted after an extraction. The other one is said to be the end of a root. The latter one isn't causing me any problems, and the former one is healing up slowly.

mike_otago

#4 Post by mike_otago »

Here is a picture, it feels bigger than it looks.

fins

#5 Post by fins »

I would have my dentist check it out just to be safe.
fins

genxsis

#6 Post by genxsis »

Yes, I agree! Have a dentist look at that--maybe x-ray it. By the shape and location of it, I haven't got a clue as to what it could be.

superc4th

#7 Post by superc4th »

I'm having the same kind of issue. I saw it today and I can't remember having it before, so I called my ortho and I will probably see him tomorrow.
I think it's a root, but is it supposed to be there? Also, I'm supposed to be brace free next week, so I'm a little worried about whether it will prolong my treatment or not!!
Anyway, I'll post my ortho's answer when I see him...
Until then, if any of you have a clue....

wating4braces

#8 Post by wating4braces »

I have one of those too. Interested to see what it really is...

Katie

superc4th

#9 Post by superc4th »

I saw my ortho yesterday morning and he took X-rays of my strange little lump and it turns out it's bone!
He explained to me that during ortho treatment, because of all the teeth movement, the bones move too and sometimes they "grow" a little weird. So what is pointing under my gums is a little bone "excroissance" (I don't know if that word exists in English?? Sorry, I'm French!)
Then, he said that a periodontist can remove it easily. It's a really short intervention under local anaesthesia. The doctor cut the gum (eww), then "sand off" the extra bone (ewwwww) and voilà! Apparently, it's not even painful... But, he also said (to my relief!) that I can also live with it all my life if it doesn't bother me.

Of course, this is my case, and maybe yours is different, so seeing your ortho or your dentist and have X-rays taken may be a good idea to begin with.

Good luck!!

Oh! By the way, my ortho confirmed that my braces are ready to come off next week!! I can't wait!!