Top Tooth Hitting Bottom Bracket

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mkmark

Top Tooth Hitting Bottom Bracket

#1 Post by mkmark »

Hello-

I had my braces (Damon System 3) put on last Friday, December 16. Before I left I talked to my orthodontist about my one front top tooth banging the bracket on my bottom tooth when I bit. He filed down the bottom bracket a bit but it didn't help much. He asked me to wait a few days because he thought my top tooth would move out of the way of the bottom bracket and stop hitting it. It's been several days now, and I still can't chew since I'm deathly afraid of chomping down and breaking that bottom bracket off with my top tooth. It's starting to get annoying to eat, because with that bracket blocking my bite I can't chew (my molars don't meet).

Would you, or anyone, suggest that I give it a few more days for this tooth to move out of the way or should I make an appointment? I would hate for my progress to slow down because he had to take a bracket off.

I should also mention that he said a 'bite turbo' wasn't an option for me, for some reason I can't remember.

Thanks in advance for any help.

altinure

#2 Post by altinure »

I had this problem, and my orthodontist gave me a bite plate (it's like a retainer but prevents you from biting down all the way) until my bite was where it was supposed to be.

calley03

#3 Post by calley03 »

I have 4 bite plates and just got braced yesterday. They put a bite plate on the back of each of my front teeth, and one on each of my top back molars. My ortho said this will help protect my teeth so they don't hit as I chew.
Impressions on 12/5/05
Full Braces(ceramic top, metal bottom) 12/19/05

jennielee81

#4 Post by jennielee81 »

I had the same problem with several brackets throughout the early weeks of treatment.

I only bit one off and that was when I had a particularly violent sneeze.

Even with chewing (what little I was able to do) I didn't break the most bothersome one off at all.

Let it go for a few weeks. If you bite it off, the ortho will glue a new one on. No big deal.

If you don't bit it off, look how much time you didn't loose!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

mkmark

#5 Post by mkmark »

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think it "may" be getting a little better now, but maybe I'm just getting used to the fact I have to chew more carefully. Regardless, I'll go ahead and give it some time before I go whining. :)

If I do have to go back, I'll definitely ask about the bite plate or occlusal bonding. Meryaten, I have a little bit of an overjet, so I'm guessing that's the reason I can't do the bite turbo.

Thanks!