archwires - different types and progression

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fins

archwires - different types and progression

#1 Post by fins »

I don't know if there is an average number of archwires that are used for treatment but I was wondering as you progress through treatment to the end, about how many wires are used for a typical treatment (if there is such a thing)? Is there a type of wire that is used toward the end or middle of treatment?
fins

shinyam

#2 Post by shinyam »

I am on my fifth wire, and have one more to go. There's a link somewhere on here that explains what each wire does.

fyrelight

#3 Post by fyrelight »

I know you get the flexible NiTi ones in the beginning, and then the stiff, thick, stainless steel ones in the end... but I'm not sure how many there are. I never counted. :wink: There's also a difference in the round and square stainless steel. The square gives the ortho more tweaking power. I know there are two numbers to every archwire... as in 16x22.... the first number is a measurement-- diameter maybe? as in .012 inches, or .014 or .016 or .018 inches. I think you usually start with a 12. I have NO idea what the 2nd number is, though I have heard it is a measurement as well.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

dr.j

#4 Post by dr.j »

Wires: we all use different sequences. There is no cookbook where we all use the same stuff. I may use 3 wires on one patient and 7 on another.

A 16 x 22 ss archwire is .016" x .022" in dimension. The height being .016" and the width/depth of the wire .022". 2 numbers, then rectangular (or square). 1 number, like .018 ss is a measurement of the diameter of the wire: 18 thousandths of an inch. Don't ask why we are not in the metric system yet. Old habits die hard.

All in all, some docs have a wire sequence used in most cases but this varies from doc to doc and patient to patient. 5-6 AW's per arch is average I guess.

dr.j
Dr.J - Ortho

gsx

#5 Post by gsx »

the more thick means the more force?
The initial AW is supossed to be the most heavy? 'Cause if I touch mine, it feels so soft, I can't afford how it can move my teeth
regards

fyrelight

#6 Post by fyrelight »

You start off with little thin ones, then as your teeth are more where they need to be, they can put on thicker ones.
Pamela W.
FORMER IMPACTED CANINES,

Nikkiekoala

#7 Post by Nikkiekoala »

Like Dr. J. said every ortho is different my first archwire was small, thin. I got new archwires at my first adjustment and it was the heavy duty rectangle wire which was/is 14x25. I don't think the heavier wire is just for the end of treatment being as I am just four and half months in. I go in for my second adjustment next week. He will be taking xrays to check on root alignment. I don't know if I get new wires then or not. Maybe elastics? I have know idea. All that to say the size of the wire is not an indicator of how far you are in treatment or how far you have left. It is just what your ortho has planned and how he is going to achieve it.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

mackenzie

#8 Post by mackenzie »

I'm on my 4th or 5th wire since Sept 6 when I got braces...that seems high if the average is only 5-6 total.

Betty Bat

How do you know?

#9 Post by Betty Bat »

This may be a dumb question, but how do you know what kind/size of wire you have? Can you figure it out on your own or do you have to ask the ortho?

Nikkiekoala

#10 Post by Nikkiekoala »

I usually ask the Ortho. You can see a difference in wire size but there is no way to tell exactly the size so asking is a good way to find out. My ortho is getting to where he tells most things. He knows I am interested.

Braced Aug. 11th 2005
Damon 3's
Crowding
Crossbite
**My Website: http://nikkiekoala.efx2blogs.com/

alexa

#11 Post by alexa »

mackenzie wrote:I'm on my 4th or 5th wire since Sept 6 when I got braces...that seems high if the average is only 5-6 total.
Wow, that is a lot! Was that 4th or 5th wire per arch, or just overall?

I've had three wires per arch...so if 5 or 6 is the average, then does that mean that I'm halfway done? :D
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom

hannah164

#12 Post by hannah164 »

I've only had probably about 4 or 5 at the most archwires on the top in about 20 months! :shock: I've only had one archwire on the bottom for about the past month. My ortho only changed my wires when absolutely necessary! :?
I guess that means I really have got two more years to go after 18 months so far! :(

-Hannah :frogbraces:

Top braces: 4/28/04
Bottom braces: 11/16/05
Next Adjustment 1/11/06

leah

wire sizes

#13 Post by leah »

I've had 4 upper wires and 3 bottoms. My last one was put on in August. I was told that these would be my last wires I get... Guess every treatment is different...
best wishes,
Leah
lower wisdom teeth cut out 1/27/05 (ouch)
braced 3/8/05.
24-30 month Est.
going full metal 8/22/05
Naked as of August 28, 2006

mackenzie

#14 Post by mackenzie »

alexa wrote:
mackenzie wrote:I'm on my 4th or 5th wire since Sept 6 when I got braces...that seems high if the average is only 5-6 total.
Per arch, I only have braces on top right now. Lowers go on tomorrow!

alexa

#15 Post by alexa »

mackenzie wrote:
alexa wrote:
Per arch, I only have braces on top right now. Lowers go on tomorrow!
Ah, I didn't realize! Well good luck wishes for tomorrow then! :D
Spacers: 1/26/05; 2/6/06; 3/15/06; 4/24/06
4 First Bicuspids removed: 2/2005
Metal Braces, top and bottom: 3/1/05; Debanded 7/26/07
Hawley retainers top and bottom