Not Biting?

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Cissa

Not Biting?

#1 Post by Cissa »

Ever since I've had braces, I do not close my mouth all the way (as in, hold my teeth together) unless I'm eating or the ortho tells me to. I find that biting down all the way is uncomfortable for me. Is it ok to continue this until my braces are removed and biting is much easier for me?

IndyBraceFace

#2 Post by IndyBraceFace »

I'm doing the same thing, Cissa. I was told that my bite is going to change so much during the course of my treatment that sometimes I will not bite at all and sometimes I will bite down completely.

sydsmom

#3 Post by sydsmom »

Same thing here, Cissa. I actually cannot bite down all the way, since my front teeth are touching my bottom brackets and my molars no longer touch :-( But I've read that it's pretty common and I don't think not biting down is a problem in any way.

I do try to touch certain teeth together (if I can) to check for that "sponginess" thing, and to see how much they are hurting me. But if my teeth did come together completely right now, I think I'd be very uncomfortable.