Panic attacks...is this normal??

This is a read-only archive of previously asked questions. You cannot make new posts to this forum.

Moderator: bbsadmin

julie40

Panic attacks...is this normal??

#1 Post by julie40 »

I don't even have my braces on yet (1 week away) and I am having panic attacks at night just thinking about having them stuck on my teeth and not being able to get them off. I get light headed and my heart starts racing. I have had similar reactions in the past whenever I have felt confined or trapped.

Is this normal and is there a specific medication I can ask for to help get past it? It only happens at night when I'm laying in bed thinking about it. I'm sure I'll get used to them after time but I am terrified of the first few days or weeks until that happens.

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

You may feel strange about the braces in the first few days after getting them, but believe me, you will get used to the way they feel in your mouth and within a month (or two at the most) you won't think about it much anymore. As with most "procedures" the anticipation is often much worse than the actual event!

I want to recommmend an excellent book to you. It is called The Anxeity and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne. Here is a link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157224 ... oding=UTF8

You can get it used for under $10. Professional therapists use this book with their patients, but using it alone also works very well. Please take my advice and buy this book for yourself!

If you want more info, please PM me and I would be glad to discuss this with you in private.

In the mean time, if you feel that you are having extreme anxiety, please discuss this with your medical doctor or a qualified therapist. There are some anti-anxiety medications you could go on, of course, but you might be able to control your anxiety with cognative therapy (positive thinking), deep breathing exercises or meditation.

Try not to think about it too much. Our thoughts tend to "run away" with us especially at night. Try to consciously think of SOMETHING ELSE when those negative thoughts come into your mind, such as how beautiful your smile will be after they come off -- or anything besides your teeth -- like planning your next vacation or recalling a happy memory.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

julie40

#3 Post by julie40 »

Thank you all very much for your suggestions and words of encouragement. I am definitely going through with it as I know the results will be worth it. I feel so silly for even asking about it because it seems so ridiculous that those little things stuck on my teeth could cause me so much stress.

I will definitely buy the Anxiety book that was recommended and I like the idea of an herbal remedy to get it under control. I was also thinking more about it and I think caffiene may have had a hand in my episode the night before last because last night I didn't have caffiene before bedtime and I was fine. :)

Thanks again.
This website is wonderful. I'm so glad it's here and that I found it.

lilsisbet

#4 Post by lilsisbet »

I too suffer from panic attacks and claustrophobia. It was triggered when I was put into a confined MRI machine. That was about 8 years ago and while the attacks are not frequent, I have been known to pace outside my house in the dead of winter with my nightgown on and boots, trying to get air.

Like you, I was fearful that braces would trigger an attack. I can honestly say, it has been no problem. As Bbsadmin mentioned, there will come a time when you don't even realize they are there. I am 10 months into treatment and the only time I realize they are there is when I get the reminder to visit the Ortho. Other than that.... it is life as normal.

The things that have helped me with the panic attacks are - cut out caffine and to learn to breath deeply. I have learned that I was a very shallow breather. I decided to take Yoga lessons and it has been very helpful in calming my nerves and to teach me how to breath deeply. One other tidbit that seems to help - if your in the midst of an attack, open the freezer and stick your head in it. The cold air opens up your lungs. Or.. force yourself to yawn... again this opens up the lungs and forces deep breaths instead of the shallow ones.

My boss also suffers from attacks and has problems flying because of it. He tried a hypnotist at the end of last year and was actually able to get on an airplane earlier this month. So there may be something in that as well.

Good luck.
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

weird_wired

#5 Post by weird_wired »

I don't think anyone except for some bizarre fetishist could ever claim that braces are an "enjoyable" experience.

But they are really not that bad.

And what is far more than enjoyable is seeing the gradual progress of your treatement. Eventually, that does eclipse the hassles and discomfort of treatment (for me anyway).

I suggest you take heaps of pics. There's no need to post them if you're shy, but it does mean that one or two or three months on, you can look at an early pic and be literally amazed at the progress.

For my part, I was lucky enough to be able to spot progress after only three weeks. It was very sudden - one night in the bathroom mirror I realised a tooth had "come into line". Further progress took quite a bit longer, but that was enough for me to literally dance with joy. Especially as it was the tooth that first triggered my interest in getting braced.

bbsadmin

#6 Post by bbsadmin »

Oh yeah, if you have an anxiety problem, you should definitely cut caffeine out of your diet, completely if you can (at the very least, don't have any caffeine after 2 p.m.). It is a drug -- an upper -- and you should treat it like one. There are a lot of really good decaf drinks on the market that you can substitute. Don't forget that chocolate has a caffeine. The darker the chocolate, the more caffeine it has. You may also want to cut down the amount of sugar you eat or drink and increase your water intake.

I will also ask if you have ever had your thyroid tested (TSH test)? If you are HYPERthyroid, that could bring on anxiety and possibly panic attacks. TSH is done in a simple blood test. Ask your medical doctor about it. I have read that some people's panic problems disappeared once their thyroids were straightened out.

Another thing I will mention is that some anti-depressant medication (such as Prozac) has an "activiating" feature which could make you more prone to panic attacks. If you are on such medication, it could also be contributing to your problems.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

bbsadmin wrote:Try not to think about it too much. Our thoughts tend to "run away" with us especially at night. Try to consciously think of SOMETHING ELSE when those negative thoughts come into your mind, such as how beautiful your smile will be after they come off -- or anything besides your teeth -- like planning your next vacation or recalling a happy memory.
Take it from someone who's always had a "run away mind" at night. I started taking yoga for relaxation and my instructor taught us to be "observers of the thought NOT PARTICIPANTS". It only took a few nights of "observing and not participating" and I was cured.

I like the idea of the anti anxiety/phobia work book. I may get that for my fear of flying!! Thanks Lynn :D

Best wishes and luck to you!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Attagirl2

#8 Post by Attagirl2 »

hi. I know where you are coming from. After several years of therapy, I am panic attack free - for 12 years now! As stated: cut out the caffine, especially at night. Talk to a friend about your fears - getting them out in the open helps to stop them (is there someone who lives with you that you can talk to as you start to experience one? or can you call someone?). When I was willing to talk to others about what I was experiencing, it would stop them from becoming full blown.

Exercise - some vigous arobic exercise a few hours before bed can help to calm you and make your body ready for sleep.

For me, if I just can't shut off my mind at night (not anxiety, just thoughts), I will sometimes take one tylenol. It tends to help me calm down.

Take care of yourself and get the help that will take you through these - it can be done if you are willing to do the work.

I wish you well and a good journey through braces.
Had Damon 3 / Smart Clips for almost 2 years
Now in Hawley upper 10 hours/day, permanent lower retainers

embracing_the_future

#9 Post by embracing_the_future »

Julie - just wanted to post a quick reply for you - not sure if you are still checking them.

I am THE WORST panic attack girl in the world! I have attacks that have lasted for five days where I can't eat, sleep, sit still, leave the house, have a rational thought, keep any food inside my body (if you catch my drift!) At one point they were ruining my life and although I now have them under control I still suffer from terrible claustraphobia and a complete inability to commit to anything (I can't even drive anymore - to much commitment!!)

So getting braces was a few years ago unthinkable and today bloody frightening! I did it last Monday. It's not great and yes, you do hsave to sit in the chair for an hour with a persons hands in your mouth but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be.

My suggestions are - have some camomile tea beforehand (very calming), take a SPAM to listen to if they don't have a radio (when I started panicking I told myself I would listen to three songs and then bolt, by the time the 3 songs went I was calmer), take a safety blanket (I have an asthma inhaler in case I start to hyperventilate), tell your ortho - mine was very good and kept checking I was okay and telling me what he was doing, finally close your eyes!!! I found that I relaxed more when I couldn't see what was happening.

I'm not going to pretend it was a lot of fun but it did end and afterwards I felt fantastic for getting through it. Also, I promise you, if I can get through it anyone. GOOD LUCK!

bbsadmin

#10 Post by bbsadmin »

[quote="jennielee81]Take it from someone who's always had a "run away mind" at night. I started taking yoga for relaxation and my instructor taught us to be "observers of the thought NOT PARTICIPANTS". It only took a few nights of "observing and not participating" and I was cured.[/quote]

There's a lot to be said for meditation-type mental exercises. It's amazing how many physical problems begin just with a tiny thought that affects the nervous system and mushrooms into a huge runaway train. Calming your mind takes some practice, but with continual practice you can soon master the technique. Also, being aware of your negative/scary thoughts at other times and nipping them immediately in the bud -- concentrating on the positive instead -- helps break some of the cycle. Deep breathing through the nose (as opposed to shallow breathing) calms the mind as well.

And if all that has been tried and hasn't helped enough, there are some very good anti-anxiety meds that a person can take.

I hope that everyone with a panic/anxiety problem can be successful and overcome it!

The book I mention in my previous post is really fantastic, as well.

NotBob1

#11 Post by NotBob1 »

Hi Julie.
I just wanted to chime in that I am only ten days into the braces gig and I am already getting used to it. I was panicked beforehand and at the first few days, but now I could care less. They are still a little annoying, especially the little mouth sores, but they go away. (I hope) They do!

You're right, you can't get them off and sometimes you really want to. Usually this feeling will pass after an hour or two. Then you come back to realizing that this is just the way it is, and it's not that bad.

I empathize with your attacks as I get them sometimes related to other issues. Haven't had one in awhile.

Take care!

-Pat
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

sydsmom

#12 Post by sydsmom »

not sure if you're still checking this either, julie40, but thought I'd post in case....

If you're having panic attacks already, you might think about talking to your regular doctor or psychiatrist (if you know one or have one) about getting something to take when they actually put the braces on. There will be someone standing immediately over you and strange things in your mouth, which might make you uncomfortable. A doctor would be able to give you a mild sedative, or a beta-blocker to help calm you down. (I take these occasionally before public speaking events and they're amazing.)

Also, a good therapist can help guide you through some desensitization exercises-- perhaps putting things in your mouth or on your teeth and slowly helping you get used to the sensations.

If you don't want to take meds, Valerian Root works wonders (it's an herbal supplement available at most natural food stores), as does Kava Kava (just don't take this too frequently), and you can Chamomile tea to boost the effect of both. Some health food stores even sell anti-anxiety supplements containing multiple ingredients such as the above, plus amino acids and vitamins.
Lower bicuspids extracted 1/11/06
Braced (full metal) 1/18/06

ingyandbert

#13 Post by ingyandbert »

My advice is also to get a prescription for an anti-anxiety drug -- something you can take on an as-need basis instead of everyday -- and take it about an hour before your installation appointment. I also suffer from claustrophobia, which is what you're describing. When you are undergoing the installation process, they will stuff cheek protectors, cotton, a tongue suppressor, and a lip spreader all into your mouth at one time. Plus you're lying on your back with people working very close to your face. I had to really concentrate on my breathing and talk myself down a few times during the 2 hour procedure. That was the worst part. Once the braces are on, I've not had any sort of thoughts of wanting them off. If you get to the point where you're tired of dealing with the adjustment to braces, just place wax over the entire set top and bottom. It will give you a break from them and allow your whole mouth to rest. I've only had to do that once, on the third day. Everyday gets better than the day before, though, and now after 5 days it's not such a big deal at all. Do yourself a favor and swish warm salt water around your mouth a few times a day. It will do wonders for the soft tissue inside your mouth where the braces are rubbing. Good luck!

Marguerite

#14 Post by Marguerite »

Xanax, Xanax, Xanax!!! (Or alprazolam as it is known generically.) This drug has a bad reputation because people abuse it for recreational purposes, but in low doses it is not addictive and has very few side effects. (Just don't drink alcohol after you have taken it.) Ask your doctor about it and s/he will write you a prescription. You don't have to go to a psychiatrist or anything like that unless you want to. Basically it depresses your nervous system so it takes away the symptoms of a pounding heart or choking sensations. Actually, deep breathing is the LAST thing you should do for panic attacks. It floods your body with oxygen and exacerbates your symptoms. The best thing to do is breathe in and out of a paper bag because then you will be breathing in carbon dioxide that you have exhaled and you will not have so much oxygen in your body.

braceface1230

#15 Post by braceface1230 »

Well, I'll just start off by saying that I don't have any magic little trick to control my panic attacks, none. I had them real bad right after I graduated high school. They were as bad as 'embracing the future' described. Sometimes worse, sometimes better, but I always walked around with high anxiety. ALWAYS. I had no feeling of happiness, joy, or certainty. I wasn't even certain if I'd ever feel normal again. If I at least new that, I'd have felt certain of something. But, no. I went through this for about 8 years.

I will say that I went to a psyciatrist, once. And that was it. I quickly found out that he didn't have any more answers than I did so, I was going to try to figure it out on my own. I've never taken any prescription for it, because frankly, people with high(er) anxiety don't physically have anything wrong with them. I've heard it said that there is a hyper thyroid, or chemical imbalance, and that's the reason. It's not.

The fact is, anxiety, is just a trick word that a guy/girl who went to "psyc school" came up with to make it sound like they have the answer to what's really wrong. You're just having a feeling of fear. It's only a feeling. And feelings are perfectly normal. Even feelings of fear. We all have them. Every person is capable of feeling them. And to try to numb it, or bury it under a cloud of prescription drugs is not the wise way to go. Sure, you might "feel" different, but have you really uncovered what's wrong? The answer is simple... nope. You haven't uncovered anything.
The only thing uncovered is, the fact you can temporarily cover a feeling with a chemical.

So, whats the answer?

Well, I'd say this: When do you NOT feel anxious? When you're certain of something, right? When you're content with what's happening. When you feel like you know what's going on. But when you feel scared, you don't feel that you have a grasp.

So, what then? Just steer clear of all the things that frighten you? Probably not the best thing to do either. So what to do? What should be your compass? How do you know what the best thing to do is? Well, what's the "best thing"? Even if you do the best thing, there's no guarantee that you won't feel frightened. So, don't do the best thing, or do the best thing? But what if the "best thing" for you isn't the best thing for the next guy, then what?

Now that's the real question. If you do what you want, versus what someone else wants you to do, are you being selfish, conceited, or vain? Or is the other person placing an unfair expectation on you that has no warrant? I guess it depends on the circumstances. And we all know that circumstances change more than the wind.

So, that brings me back to "feelings". How can you feel in control circumstances that change more than the wind? Answer: You can't... realistically. If you're honest with yourself, you'll realize you can't control the uncontrolable.

So, what can I control? Or, WHO'S in control? Yeah, that's the ultimate question. Who's in control? Is it an imaginary "force"? Is it your feelings? Is it you? Is it me? Is it the government? Is it the enemy? If it is the enemy, who is the enemy? Really? But they say its us. So anyways....

Think of what contentment "feels" like. Or, remember what it feels like. Then, ask yourself if you're content with who, or what's in control.

Like I said, I don't have the magic answer to controling my fear/anxiety, but I'll give you hint to something: If you come to grips with who's REALLY in control with all of this, and I mean ALL of it. I mean, really come to grips... realize, know, understand, whatever you want to call it. Then you'll find there's no reason to be afraid. And, chances are, that what you "think" you're afraid of, is really not what you're "really" afraid of.

Yeah, I know; Sometimes it's just better if I keep my thoughts to myself. :wink: But, I'm kind of bored and I've already clipped my toenails.